Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old March 15th, 2015, 07:27 AM

Question Multiple Operating Systems

I'm running Windows Vista Business on my laptop.

Is it possible to install a second operating system and choose which one I want to run, and if so, how would I accomplish this? I used to be able to do this on a WinXP machine and I can't remember how to set it up.

I ask this because I tried to run an older program and a message popped up telling me that "this version of windows does not support fullscreen mode."

Last edited by msninja; March 15th, 2015 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Adding a little more info
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by msninja View Post
I'm running Windows Vista Business on my laptop.

Is it possible to install a second operating system and choose which one I want to run, and if so, how would I accomplish this? I used to be able to do this on a WinXP machine and I can't remember how to set it up.

I ask this because I tried to run an older program and a message popped up telling me that "this version of windows does not support fullscreen mode."

it would depend what you are going to install. It must be a full retail version of whatever os you want to install. It cannot be system builders or manfacturers oem, it cannot be an upgrade version nor can it be a copy that was used to justified an upgrade.

vista does support fullscreen mode, most likely it is the program that does not support it or at least support it in the os it was installed in.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:15 AM

Is there a way to tinker with the settings to make it work? I do have an xp machine. I've run the program on the xp machine and it worked wonderfully. I also know from recent experience that Vista does support fullscreen mode. For some reason the program is angry that I put it on a different machine.

The program in question is an emulator for an old system, if that makes a difference.
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Yes you can dual boot Vista and XP, however, you would normally install XP first then Vista and they both use different boot managers. Installing XP on a machine that already has Vista can be done, however, you would have to fix the boot manager after wards.

Since this is a Laptop, I assume you only have one hard drive, you would need enough space on that hard drive to create a 2nd partition to make room for XP. How much free space is there on the hard drive?

Right click on "My Computer" then to "Manage", left pane click on "Disc Management" How much "Free Space is there"?

Also Windows XP (No longer supported) needs Net Framework 2.0 to run the boot manager program EasyBCD
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=1639

You will also need EasyBCD

There are many guides out there to set up a dual boot, one of the better ones: Here

Is this really worth it to run just one program???

Have you tried running the program in Compatibility Mode?