Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 19th, 2015, 09:54 PM

Strange Start Screen Problem

As of this morning, none of the apps on the metro start screen will open. All that happens is the splash screen comes on, and just stays there until I hit the windows icon again to bring me back to the start screen. This included pre-loaded apps like IE, the email hub, music, video, news, etc. And after trying out a few of the downloaded apps like netflix, those won't work either. *I should note that I'm using a Surface Pro tablet*

-I've tried resetting it numerous times
-I've called customer support, and eventually they tried to have me refresh, for some odd reason that didn't work at all. an error kept happening
- The only thing that happened was this morning there was an update, which installed and had something to do with windows defender.
-Even IE on the desktop won't work properly, although for the most part the desktop is working as normal.
Old January 19th, 2015, 10:43 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Couple of things to check:

For the Metro Tiles to work the screen resolution must be more than 1024 x 768

Right click on desktop >Screen Resolution

Also UAC if turned off completely can cause this:

Right click Windows flag, bottom left then to Control Panel, scroll down to "More Settings"

Click on "user Accounts and Family Safety"

User Accounts

Then click on "turn on or off User Account Control

Change User account control settings

Make sure that you have the settings to "default"

Another is if you use Windows Live Account as the default Login do you?

I believe if this started after Defender update the USC was turned off.
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:02 PM

Thank's for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

-The screen resolution is at 1920x1080(recommended setting)

-As for the second part, I went into User Accounts, and saw the Change User Account Control Settings. (This is where I might be slightly confused, I swear I'm computer literate) This has got the bar where it says "always notify", "never notify", it was already set to default. Was I in the right place?
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:24 AM

Yes you were.

Even IE on the desktop won't work properly, although for the most part the desktop is working as normal.
Does it open OK?

See if this helps:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-...display-issues

Other thoughts:

If you have Kaspersky 2013, Avast or McAfee anti-virus, try turning off temporarily, if the apps open then uninstall which ever one you have and reinstall.

If you have connected and joined Windows 8 PC to domain. Removed from domain and the apps started working.

turn on or off User Account Control. Was it "On" then turn off and see what happens.

When you tried a "Refresh" do you remember what error you got?

Does the Surface Pro have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:51 AM

It does open ok, or I should say it did. When I was trying to solve the problem earlier I unpinned it from the start screen, and then I put it back on, hoping that would work. I forget exactly what I did, but I turned off IE11, and then turned it back on. The only IE was the desktop version, so I followed these instructions to get the metro app back.
http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/how-to-r...-in-windows-8/

I never use the desktop version of IE so I just noticed that there's no longer a shortcut on my desktop. Long story short, it disappeared.

When I did a refresh it gave me the option to check to see what the issue was, I never recall seeing anything after I hit that button.

I am using 8.1.

Thanks again for the help.
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:28 AM

The IE on the desktop is just a shortcut to IE, so it the Metro Tile. There is just one IT on the tablet, just two different ways to get to it.

OK next, since you indicated this started after an Update?

Remove the update and see if the problem is fixed.

In Control Panel click on Windows Update

Left Pane click on Installed Updates bottom left

Updates are listed by date Installed, find the one installed today, click then go to menu bar uninstall.

Reboot, did that help?
Old January 20th, 2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
The IE on the desktop is just a shortcut to IE, so it the Metro Tile. There is just one IT on the tablet, just two different ways to get to it.
Really? I always thought they were different, the metro tile was a touch friendly browser, it looked like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ie+1...7%3B1366%3B768

The desktop was the ugly old IE.
Also the last update was a windows defender update, it doesn't show up on the uninstall update list. The last update I can remove was on the 13th, should I just remove that one?
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:25 PM

Well, I sort of stand corrected;

Starting with Windows 8, Internet Explorer provides one web platform that supports two browsing experiences: Internet Explorer in the new Windows UI that is optimized for touch devices, and the familiar browsing experience of Internet Explorer for the desktop.

The last update I can remove was on the 13th, should I just remove that one? What is the KB number of the update???
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:51 PM

If I haven't mentioned it yet, thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

The KB number is 3024663.
Old January 21st, 2015, 03:32 AM

KB 3024663 is an update for Internet Explorer Flash Player so leave it.

BTW: Your welcome that is what we are here for.

I would next disable Windows Defender temporarily and see if that is what causing the problem;

In Control Panel click on Windows Defender, then on Administrator (left pane), uncheck Turn on this app. - Saver Settings

Now try it

Either result go back on turn it back on.

To ensure permissions are right.

1. Open file explorer (bottom left folder icon)
2. Open your operating drive (probably c
3. Right click on the Program Files Folder then to Properties
4. Select the Security Tab -ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES should be high lighted
5. On Security Tab click Advanced
6. On the Advanced Security Settings for Program Files screen verify that ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES has Allow Permissions Read & execute for This folder, subfolders and files. If it isn't then click Change Permissions and change it, then apply close
Old January 21st, 2015, 04:39 AM

-I did the windows defender instructions, still the same.

-I'm slightly unsure if I'm going to the right place with your second set of instructions. When I open up that folder I'm not seeing an operator drive. However when I got to the computer tab, and then hit properties it brings me to control panel-system and security-system. Am I close?

-I'm now beginning to have problems with Microsoft word, one note, etc. It's taking an excessively long time to save things into my one drive, which was not a problem before all this started. I'm getting a WerFault.exe- Application Error that has popped up a few times when using these programs. It states something about a 0x000000055ED5E93 referenced memory, the required
data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x0000185. Click OK to terminate the program.

In fact it popped up as I was typing this out.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 01:11 AM

Try a system restore, you will not lose anything, except anything installed after the restore point:
  • Right click, left side bottom, the 4 little flag icon .
  • Now click on Control Panel
  • Now click System
  • Left pane click on System Protection
  • Click on System Restore button
  • Click Next and follow the prompts
Old January 22nd, 2015, 02:03 AM

Just did the system restore, and nothing changed. Same situation as before, apps still not working.

*Edit* A window popped up saying that the system restore was not successful, it failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point. There was a disk error during the restore caused by bad sectors.

Last edited by jeremiah; January 22nd, 2015 at 02:25 AM. Reason: forgot to add information
Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:16 PM

Now need to check the hard drive;

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/how-to-s...-in-windows-8/

Follow this, the message you got could be a corrupt/bad hard drive:

There was a disk error during the restore caused by bad sectors.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:41 PM

"Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems."

So are we back to square one?