Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:55 PM

Location: Jacksonville now but bred and born in JERSEY, always a Jersey girl at heart.
Cannot type without losing blinking cursor etc

Just to type this is taking longer then necessary as I lose the blinking cursor every few words, have to re-click after the last word in order to keep typing. When this happens the area above at the top flashes to white from a beige color and the cursor blink disappears until I click to get it back.

What is going on? this happened at least 20 times to post the issue here...
The pc automatically updated to 8.1 about 5 days ago and wish I could get rid of it...8 was bad enough.
When I left click, the cursor flashes and by the time I get ready to type it often has disappeared and have to quickly re-click in the bar again.
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hello Ora, not all that sure this is a malware issue. Type in your browser, or even when typing in something like Notepad or Word? If it is just your browser (such as Internet Explorer), have you tried a different one, like Firefox? Post back more details please.
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:04 PM

Location: Jacksonville now but bred and born in JERSEY, always a Jersey girl at heart.
It happens in my IE browser, typing in notepad, wordpad and even typing this reply. There seems to be a flash in the background or across the top where the color becomes a tan color. I should add that after it autodated to 8.1 I installed the Classic Shell again as I had been using that with the Windows 8 and everything worked fine. I just followed the same instructions to do that(as found here at this forum) without uninstalling the first Classic Shell. Could that be the problem? or just that the shell does not work well with 8.1?
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:24 PM

The latest version of Classic Shell includes upgrades for 8.1. Do you have that?
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:53 PM

I have Ivo Soft 4.1.0 version...someone told me that the issue is with the 'insertion point' not the cursor although do not understand the difference. Was it wrong to download the Classic Shell over the previous version? The insertion point will disappear or stop moving but stay fixed and keep flashing unless I re-click on it to get it moving again. This has happened at least dozen times to type this reply.
I used the download from the W8 forum here:
http://www.classicshell.net/

Last edited by Ora; October 28th, 2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old October 29th, 2014, 12:01 AM

I really think this thread would fare better in the CTH Windows 8 forum. Why don't I ask for a Mod to move it there.
Old October 29th, 2014, 12:08 AM

Okay...that's where I originally posted it. Sure hope someone can figure out what is going on. Did I download the right version of the Classic Shell though?
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:00 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Came into this a bit late, sorry. What you are saying seems to be that the computer is losing focus and another window (that perhaps you cannot see because it is only one pixel) is grabbing the focus.

Might pay to take a look at what applications are running on the computer first.

Now as you have Win 8 machine I can't guide you on that, I don't know, but perhaps someone can talk you down on how to determine what is running, and what is starting when you boot.
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:27 PM

I do not fully understand this but will consider any possibility in order to get rid of the problem. I would not know what apps are supposed to be running or not and again not sure if re-installing the ClassicShell twice without un-installing the first one is the problem or not.
Old November 1st, 2014, 11:05 PM

Have you tried uninstalling Classic Shell, rebooting and checking for change?
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
does it work right without classic shell? did you check the curser settings in windows?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change...g-rate-visible
Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:08 AM

Seems I have fixed it although not sure why this worked. First though I uninstalled the Classic Shell and even so, still had the insertion point/cursor issue...so it was not the Classic Shell.
Went scrolling through Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Troubleshooting. Clicked on Troubleshooting and them chose first option 'Programs...Run programs made for previous versions of Windows'. clicked on that which brought up the 'Next' clicked that and a box with several programs to pick from that I thought might be the problem. I had no idea but chose Start Menu 8. It ran some kind of scan or perhaps restored something that got messed up with the Windows 8.1 update but after a week of trying everything, this finally fixed whatever was the problem. Hope someone can figure out what was actually wrong based on the hit and miss option chosen to repair it....Ora
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:51 PM

It's fixed Ora. I congratulate you, and just enjoy your system.