Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:21 PM

'PAge fault in non paged area' error at startup

Hi,

I've been having this problem for months - every time my computer starts up after the power is turned on, it goes into windows where I get prompted to enter my password so I can access the computer, but before I can type it the entire screen turns blue and it says something like 'Windows has found an error and is restarting, we're collecting information etc, this error is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA"

I have tried to do some system repairs but they don't seem to help. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
In simple terms page faults occur during the transfer of information from RAM into virtual RAM, which is a temporary storage area on the hard drive.

The possibilities are that you have some bad RAM or a corrupt hard drive.

Run a RAM check first, if that turns out OK do a HDD check.

If you need any help doing either of these please ask and someone more conversant with Win 8 than I am will take you through the steps.
Old October 20th, 2014, 06:18 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Restart it again and continue pressing Shift + F8 key to view the Advanced startup options
Boot in Safe mode through the steps mentioned above
Restore back to a previous restore point through System Restore

or
  1. Do one of the following, depending on whether you have installation media (such as a DVD or USB flash drive):
  2. If you have installation media for Windows 8.1, start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Environment.
  • If you don’t have installation media, use the power button to restart your computer three times. This will start the Windows Recovery Environment.
  1. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.
  2. Tap or click Startup Settings.
    If you don't see Startup Settings, tap or click Advanced options, and then tap or click Startup Settings.
  3. Tap or click Restart, and then wait while your computer restarts.
  4. On the Startup Settings screen, choose an option.
  5. Sign in to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
In simple terms page faults occur during the transfer of information from RAM into virtual RAM, which is a temporary storage area on the hard drive.

The possibilities are that you have some bad RAM or a corrupt hard drive.

Run a RAM check first, if that turns out OK do a HDD check.

If you need any help doing either of these please ask and someone more conversant with Win 8 than I am will take you through the steps.
I ran both windows memory diagnostic and HDD checks; no errors found on RAM and HDD.

Murf - I did the Windows Startup Repair option in Windows Recovery Environment but it said Windows could not repair. What should I do next, if I wish to put System Restore as the last resort?
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:02 PM

I will assume that since you went into Start Up Repair in Recovery environment that you do not have the DVD's and that Windows 8 is on a Recovery Partition from the factory.

Go back into the Recovery Environment see if you can find a way to get to the command prompt:

At the command prompt flashing cursor type the following:

rstrui.exe (hit <enter>)

This will bring up the System Restore console.

Do you know if it has Windows 8 or Windows 8.1??
Make and model also would be helpful.
The computer (if it is one) your using now to get here, does it have Windows 8 on it? If so you can make a USB bootable recovery drive from it to boot the other computer.
Old October 24th, 2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I will assume that since you went into Start Up Repair in Recovery environment that you do not have the DVD's and that Windows 8 is on a Recovery Partition from the factory.

Go back into the Recovery Environment see if you can find a way to get to the command prompt:

At the command prompt flashing cursor type the following:

rstrui.exe (hit <enter>)

This will bring up the System Restore console.

Do you know if it has Windows 8 or Windows 8.1??
Make and model also would be helpful.
The computer (if it is one) your using now to get here, does it have Windows 8 on it? If so you can make a USB bootable recovery drive from it to boot the other computer.
The computer which has this problem has Windows 8.1 in it, and I'm using this computer to get here - the error doesnt prevent me from getting onto windows, but it creates a troublesome restart every time I switch on the computer. I'm curious to know why no error in the RAM and HDD is discovered, yet it has this page fault blue screen problem...My computer model is HP Envy Recline 23-m210d with Beats Audio SE
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:52 AM

Hi, no reply yet from cybertechhelp? I already mentioned the model name as requested, and I did perform a System Restore about 2 months back to the earliest point available in my computer, but the problem still persisted. Unless I can find an even earlier point or if there;s another way. Please advise.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
is win8 the original os on that computer? what does the event viewer say in the system logs?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7
Old November 8th, 2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
is win8 the original os on that computer? what does the event viewer say in the system logs?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7
Hi, thanks, the System log doesn't mention anything about the OS. But as I recall, manufacturer's specs says that the original is Windows 8.1. There are a number of errors in the System log (though my computer works completely fine, this BSOD is the only error) - any tip pointing out which error is this BSOD might really help.
Old November 13th, 2014, 01:29 PM

the error doesnt prevent me from getting onto windows, but it creates a troublesome restart every time I switch on the computer,

What you describe is an graphic hardware prob, with upgraded graphic drivers and lack of .net update's IF YOU CAN ACCESS the os , uninstall the current graphic driver set and revert to early version and check your win updates files bet your find some of the .net 3.5 or 4 have failed to update, you need to run win update and try to get them installed , then update graphic drivers
this some times happens if your run loads of ms updates,
as same time graphics drivers update as well,
also it can seem lock boot at start up in a upgrading 100% windows loop and seem to be taking for ever if this happens ,,,just wait ,,, even if it take a loooooong time, it will start,,
people drag their pcs to my home,
saying they will not start ,,
they are stuck in boot up
I plug the pc/ what ever in and wait till its starts [longest 3 hours ]
then give it back,
as I know it will start and behave its shelf ,
:¬} once configured os the boot loading is normal ,
not really the prob its just some background updates are quite big that needs a reboot and your not aware of this at boot time, and think system is failing and start messing around restarting and making your own loop ,