Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 7th, 2014, 03:32 AM

Location: Jacksonville now but bred and born in JERSEY, always a Jersey girl at heart.
Where is my post from yesterday?

The W8 Version 2012(Windows Essential) Movie Maker is awful, just so trimmed down that nothing helps to produce a decent video. I basically like to use my own photos with songs, each one a nice project and keeps me off of the streets.

Anyway, with my WindowsXP Movie Maker Version 2.1, I could easily upload all my photos and the specific song.
Having the time line on the bottom that I could easily move to get words and photo in sync was so user friendly.

I cannot accomplish anything like I did with the older version and wonder if I can download the Windows XP movie maker software to my pc?

I mean will it mess up things?
If at all possible to uninstall the current version on my pc, should I do that first?
Thanks for any help...Ora
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:45 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Cool Yes, you can if you will not use tiles features

Movie Maker 2.1 should works fine on Win8 if you also install version 2.6. This is because it runs of the dll (Dynamic link library) files of 2.6.

Note: I only had problems saving tiles so I opted with Movie Maker 6.0. This version is designed for Vista and later but have the same look as WMM 2.6. This is HOW I did it.

If you really want to stick with 2.1 and doesn't mind the tiles features, then you can go and install it along with 2.6.

You might also want to consider using Installer/Uninstaller programs like Mirekusoft Install Monitor to completely uninstall your Windows Essentials and avoid messing up things.

- Ryu

Last edited by smurfy; March 7th, 2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spam removed
Old March 7th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Location: Jacksonville now but bred and born in JERSEY, always a Jersey girl at heart.
Where is my post from yesterday?

Hi!
Wondered where my post went regarding uploading the WinXP version 2.1 of movie maker to my W8. Wondered if it would be safe to do without causing possible issues.

Cannot see my post from yesterday.
Thanks...Ora.
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:08 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Don't know but, here's a Google cached version of it.
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:16 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I found the thread and put it back here. It was accidently moved by a moderator.
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:20 PM

I don't use the tiles/swipe screen but switched back to the desktop version of xp which is so much better.
Would this complicate the information you gave me, do I have to switch back to that swipe screen?
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:06 PM

Thanks!
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I found the thread and put it back here. It was accidently moved by a moderator.
Actually not accidental, I moved it due to the spammy response (now edited) pending investigation into the links but went to bed before I finished checking them out.
Sorry for any confusion caused.
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:57 PM

No problem, still trying to figure out what to do as I am not using the swipe screen with Win8 but switched back to the old style desktop.
Not sure if I can use the instructions given earlier having changed.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
see the following for more info about using 2.1 in an os other than xp. though it is for win7 - most likely it will be for win8 also.

http://www.wikihow.com/Work-With-Dif...r-on-Windows-7
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:58 PM

It doesn't specifically say it's okay for W8, as I am not savvy about these things, hesitate.
Basically looking for a way to totally un-install all traces of the Windows Essential 2012 WMM first and then a way to download the WXP version of 2.1 WMM
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:17 PM

Additionally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora View Post
It doesn't specifically say it's okay for W8, as I am not savvy about these things, hesitate.
Basically looking for a way to totally un-install all traces of the Windows Essential 2012 WMM first and then a way to download the WXP version of 2.1 WMM
The link you provided was for using on Windows 7.
I am using Windows 8 which is never mentioned in that link
If I have mis-interpreted and that substitute is just fine for WIndows 8, then discount my words here. Ora