Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Odd Problem

I was not sure where to put this so feel free to move it.
I have a ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN 3 mother board. I had originally installed Windows 7 32 bit on it. I had no problems at all. I have now upgraded to Windows 8 64 bit This is a OEM version as I could not update from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.
My problem is every so often when my system boots up it does not see my on-board USB devices I am using a LOGICTECH full wave wireless keyboard.
And I can not get out of the lock screen. I have to move my wireless receiver to the front USB that plugs into a PCI slot.
Once I get the system running I notice that my battery backup is not being detected as well it uses a on-board usb slot as well.
When I look at the device manager there is nothing flagged as being wrong.
I have updated my chip-set drivers. I have contacted ASUS and they told me to update all of my mother board drivers which I have done. But I still get this problem every now and then. That is what bothers me is that I will say out of 20 start ups it might do it 1 time. So far the only way I can work around this to keep restarting my system until it sees my keyboard. Sometimes it takes more than 1 restart before it works, But then it will be a while before it does it again.
Any idea as to what I can do to stop this?

Last edited by Gary_Buska; May 25th, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:02 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I assume you used these drivers HERE

Did you update the drivers for the keyboard to Win 8?
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:40 AM

Yes
That is the link I went to. As for my wireless keyboard according to the Logitech web site I have the latest software for my keyboard.
I do not see what that has to do with my problem because it effects my UPS battery back up as well?
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:01 PM

I have to move my wireless receiver to the front USB that plugs into a PCI slot, so the problem is with the on-board USB as you UPS is also plugged into the on-board. And with Win 7 32 bit no problems.

That motherboard uses USB 3.0 which is backward compatible with USB 2.0 when using a USB 2.0 cable (USB 3.0 uses a different cable).

I looked at the Logitech site and appears it uses the same drive for Win 8 & Win 7 (Setpoint)

So you say the front USB ports are connected to a PCI CARD? Which would probably be USB 2.0? The motherboard does have a USB 3.0 header on it for front panel cases.

Summary: (Thinking out-loud) Only happens intermittently then you plug the receiver into the front USB port and it works ok. So that would probably rule out cables being bad.

Keyboard uses the same driver for Windows 7 + W8
UPS Battery Backup same effect.

Win 7 32bit OK
Win 8 64bit the problem

I would now check the Windows 8 Power Management settings, as there is a setting that Allows the computer to turn off USB to save power.

Press WIN+R keys to open run box

Type in

powercfg.cpl

Now click on "Change plan settings" link near your current power plan

Again click on "Change advanced power settings" link in next page. It'll open a new dialog box which allows you to change various advanced settings

Scroll down to bottom and you'll see "Memory power management" section

I know Win 7 had turn off USB not sure if Win 8 does, maybe look thru there and see if you have something pertaining to USB.

If not then there is an Windows update that may be causing this:

If you go to Control Panel > Windows Update see if you have KB275872, if so try this;
  • During Post open up BIOS Setup
  • Enter Advance mode
  • Go to Advance > USB configuration
  • Set both USB Legacy Support and USB 3.0 Legacy Support to Disable
  • Save and Exit BIOS Setup
  • Log on to Windows
  • In Control Panel > Windows Update
  • See if you have update KB275872 if so Remove it
  • Reboot go back into BIOS and enable the USB items
  • Save and Exit
  • After Logon go to Control Panel > Windows Update and HIDE KB275872 which now should be Important Updates
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:58 PM

Yes the front USB is a add on it goes where a floppy drive would normally go and than the card plugs into a PCI slot.
There is a usb slot on the front right hand side of my tower I am not sure if it is plugged into the USB 3.0 header or not I will have to check it out.
I only installed Windows 8 this past January. So far this has been the only problem I have had.
I never moved the Battery backup but I would imagine that the same effect would take place. As for the 3.0 usb they are colored blue and neither of these devices are plugged into them. I was aware of the power management section but did not know there was something there that effected USB I will look into that as well as the other information you supplied.
The only problem here is the fact that who knows when this will happen again so I will not know if anything I do has solved the problem or not.
Thanks for the information I will let you know if this should happen again.
I will also let you know if I find something else as well.
I have a open ticket with ASUS on the same problem I will see what they have to say as well.
I ruled out the cable because it effects the battery backup as well.
Either way this is definitely a odd problem.
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:42 AM

I do not see a memory power management area.
I did find a entry that reads as follows
USB selective suspend setting ENABLED
is this what you are talking about.
I have not changed this setting yet.
I did not find the update KB27582.
I will check the usb legacy in the BIOS
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:49 PM

Odd problem update

As of this post I have had no problems with my keyboard but I did discover i had a minor Trojan that had turned off my plug and play. I got rid of that and every thing is working as it should.
This place is tops for fixing problems keep up the great work.
Old June 26th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the update.