Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:12 PM

Bios updates

Hi:

I am running an ASUS P5Q Turbo Pro Mobo with 8 GB RAM, a 1.5TB HD and a 9500GT vid card.

I recently downloaded and did a clean install of Windows 8 Pro. I am now beginning to have problems with the system freezing at login. I sometime have to boot 3 or 4 times before I am actually able to use Windows 8.

I understand that Asus has put out a new BIOS 0701 update. I downloaded it with WinFlash (the newest version) and attempted to flash the BIOS but, I got a (System does not recognize this BIOS FIle) error.

As I have about 3 Acronis image backups on a separate partition, I am considering re-formating the HD and then installing the new BIOS and after /if that works, doing a restore from one of my image files.

Is this an acceptable workaround for installing this BIOS?

Any help here will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gus:
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hello Gus,

Any chance the BIOS file needed to be extracted first (unzipped)? Normally (normally) a BIOS update is not the solution.

For the reformatting plan, what method were you planning to flash the BIOS before reinstalling (returning from backup) the operating system? Did Asus provide a boot flash program?

Why don't we check things as well there.

Click here and download OldTimer's OTL to your desktop, then click that to open the scan display. At the top click "Scan All Users", then click "Run Scan". Make no other changes at this time.

When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are also saved in the same location as OTL.exe. Post the contents of those back here please.
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:24 AM

Bios Updates

Hi Jintan:

Yes, the downloaded Bios file was originally a .zip file but I extracted it and is now a .ROM file.
Asus supplied and obviously recommended the WinFlash file. Installed it on system. Then when I tried to open and flash the bios, I was presented with the error I described.
As I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow morning, I won't have time to carry out the scan and attach to another reply. I will not be returning until April so, will re-post at that time.
Thanks anyhow. I just thought by removing Win8 and re-installing win7 64 bit that I might be able to update the Bios as apparently it's to add stability to Win8. I would then re-format and install win 8 etc from an acronis image file. Still would like to know if that's feasible.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Gus:
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:11 AM

Do you have a 64 bit BIOS copy to flash?
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:56 AM

Not too sure anymore. Prior to installing Win 8 Pro, I originally had 32 bit win7 home premium then upgraded to 64 Bit win7 home premium but never updated the bios from 602 which, at that time was the latest Bios file. I then did a clean install of Win8 Pro 64 bit. When I read that the Asus P5Q Turbo Pro had a new Bios file available which was supposed to add stability to the system probably along with other drivers etc., I downloaded it from Asus along with the WinFlash utility. As win8 supposedly uses some form of UEFI I thought perhaps that was what was preventing me from flashing V 0701 of the Bios file. That's why I thought perhaps I could do a work around by formatting my C: partition and then install either 32 or 64 bit win7, Flash the Bios and then re-format again and install the acronis image with win8 pro 64 and all my programs on it.

What do you think?

Gus:
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:06 AM

Was the BIOS download 64 bit compatible though? Hope an Acronis copy is not just going to replay these same problems.
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:18 AM

I'm pretty sure the download that I selected was a Windows7 64 bit file mainly because they never had windows8 in the download menu. I will have to check the ASUS site and be sure. Seeing as I have a 32 bit bios file (0602) in there currently, would it be better to flash to 64 bit or stay with the 32 bit bios file? My win8 Pro is 64 bit. When I visit the ASUS site to check, I'll download one of each.

Sorry that I'm heading to Florida but perhaps once I'm there I'll have time to check it out and get back to you on same subjicet.

Thanks again for your queries and suggestions.

Gus:
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:44 AM

The 64 bit just refers to your current operating system, to run the Flash from.