Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM

O/S: Windows 11
No microsoft puts those updates as optional ones that you have to select from the hardware updates list so you would probably remember. There were two different vga drivers on acers website for that model number so it might require both of them. Gotta go to work now but I will dig it up when I get back from work.
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFi...C=Acer&SC=PA_6

Try this driver and see if that clears anything up. If not, going through your logs I do notice that you have alot of media players and codec packs. Wondering if one of those could be interfering with the timing? Try that first and get back with us. Good to hear that it cleared up the choppiness though.
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
Hi Gunner.

Well I just got a chance to install the second driver but of no help. The timing is still off. One thing that has just started yesterday, that may be nothing, is that when I try to minimize explorer, it does a double take before staying hidden. ----I'm just hoping that maybe one of these little glitches may shed light on the actual problem.

Also, do you know anything about what Tom wrote about (running gmr of the C drive)? I couldn't seem to get it to work. Anyway. Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Charlie
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Why don't do me a favor and uninstall both drivers VGA drivers I had you install in the add remove programs. Your display will look pretty jacked up for a bit. Then reinstall the second VGA driver

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFi...C=Acer&SC=PA_6

which coincides with this device listed in your belarc log. See if that works then we can go from there.

Controller standard PCI IDE ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 [Display adapter]
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLITO View Post
Hi Gunner.

Well I just got a chance to install the second driver but of no help. The timing is still off. One thing that has just started yesterday, that may be nothing, is that when I try to minimize explorer, it does a double take before staying hidden. ----I'm just hoping that maybe one of these little glitches may shed light on the actual problem.

Also, do you know anything about what Tom wrote about (running gmr of the C drive)? I couldn't seem to get it to work. Anyway. Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Charlie
Gotta run pick my truck up from the dealership so I will get on in a few and see if I can help you out.
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I really did not want the one mbr.exe to deter things here. Place a copy of mbr.exe directly on your desktop.

Go to Start - Run, type cmd and press OK. At the prompt type or copy/paste the following, pressing Enter after each:

cd %userprofile%\desktop

mbr.exe -t

When the scan completes type exit and press Enter to close the command window.

The report created in the command window will have been saved to your desktop as mbr.log. Locate that and post it here please.
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM

Hi Tom and Gunner.

As always, thanks for the help guys. Well Gunner, I removed the ATI stuff and reinstalled the second. I'm still having the match-up a/v problem though. At least for the time-being, my tones don't sound like a garbage disposal. Any other ideas?

Tom, there wasn't any holdup for the mbr.exe thing. We just all hop on here at different times and I thought maybe Gunner could tell me if I was messing something up before you could get back on. Anyhow, I tried a couple of times from the desktop and got:

Stealth MBR rootkit/Mebroot/Sinowal detector 0.3.7 by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net

device: opened successfully
user: error reading MBR
kernel: error reading MBR

Did I do it wrong or does this hint an error? (Please I hope so! )

In short, everything is slowing down from start-up to opening some windows. Thanks again guys for the continued support. Hope to hear from you soon.
Charlie
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Charlie, Tom is not online at the moment so to speed matters up, can you follow his instructions again please but this time, open an elevated command prompt and copy and paste the commands he asked you to run e.g.

Quote:
At the prompt type or copy/paste the following, pressing Enter after each:

cd %userprofile%\desktop

mbr.exe -t

When the scan completes type exit and press Enter to close the command window.

The report created in the command window will have been saved to your desktop as mbr.log. Locate that and post it here please.
To open an elevated command prompt, click on Start and type cmd in the Start Search box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator".
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Thank you AnnMarie. Hopefully this can narrow it down. Charlie

Stealth MBR rootkit/Mebroot/Sinowal detector 0.3.7 by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net

device: opened successfully
user: MBR read successfully
called modules: ntkrnlpa.exe CLASSPNP.SYS disk.sys storport.sys hal.dll ahcix86s.sys tcpip.sys NETIO.SYS dxgkrnl.sys atikmdag.sys
kernel: MBR read successfully
user & kernel MBR OK
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Thanks AnnMarie. And the scan results look okay, so n need to check in that area any further. As I had mentioned, you all just continue with your repair process here.
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
The audio and video are perfect now.....except that they don't match up.
Charlie, is this happening in Windows Media Player? If so, go here and scroll down to:

Audio Questions

Q: I'm having audio/video synch problems.

There are a number of suggestions there that might help.
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Thanks for your help Tom. Have a good weekend. Charlie
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks AnnMarie. I'm downloading the updates now. I'm hoping the original prob(audio was garbled in all forms) is fixed when it comes to the a/v and all I need are these tweeks. We'll see.....
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

Good luck.
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Hi AnnMarie,

I haven't had a lot of time to go through all the steps on the forum you suggested but I can say the first step of running the updates didn't help any. I'll have to continue with the other steps tomorrow morning. Thanks. Charlie