Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Vista has blank screen after startup logo

First of all, happy holidays to everyone, as well as a happy new year. Hope things are going well for you all.

I have this new Dell Inspiron 518 computer I got about 2 weeks ago. It is a Windows Vista. A few days later, I plan on getting my programs that I had on the previous computer to this one. One of the programs was Easy Cleaner, which cleans out the junk in the hard drive. I must have made a really bad mistake when I cleaned out the registry. Supposedly it says it's safe to delete the ones that they found that weren't needed, so I deleted it.

After that, I restarted the computer, and the problem came up.

Right after the Dell logo screen with the option of Setup or Boot Menu, it shows a blank screen with a blinking underscore on the top left corner.

After several restarts with no avail, I went into Setup and did something that I do not remember at the moment, but eventually it loaded up the computer fine. It gave me a good relief and I would have hoped it wouldn't happen again.

Today when I boot up the computer (I don't usually shut down, I hibernate it), it did the same thing. This time after numerous attempts I could not get past the blank screen. I am now literally stuck.

I'd be happier if I could get into safe mode, but it is unfortunate that I couldn't.

Although having the computer for 2 weeks, I haven't done too much as to making any important documents yet on the computer that I would be afraid of losing. Anyhow, there are other users who made a huge amount of data files that losing the files would be the last thing on the list. I would attempt to reinstall it with the CD that came with it, but because of this it is my last priority.

I am afraid I would be hearing my Hard Drive is corrupted, but if it is, then it is. Anyone have any idea of a solution besides getting it totally wiped out? (I'm not even sure if that would solve it either.)

Basic information:
-Windows Vista
-Dell Inspiron 518 computer that I got 2 weeks ago
-Blank screen after Dell logo with blinking underscore on top left corner
-Pressing F8 for Safe Mode will not load it. Unable to work in Safe Mode
-Setup and Boot Menu are still accessible, but I don't know what to do with those.
-I have a warranty, but I would rather not send it to get it fixed unless I really have to. It is too much of a hassle.
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:08 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Click Here to open a page with a thorough tutorial on how to use Vista's Startup Repair.
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:25 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Miz, you helped me before whether you remember or not, and you helped me again. It may be an easy solution, but as a non-techy guy, you helped me tons. Huge respect to you and other moderators of forum.

It works! Thanks so much!

Happy holidays to you! =)