Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:58 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Shell32.dll was not found. Re-installation

Hi all,

I was regrettably trying out some Visualstyle skins to make my Vista look nicer when one of the installation instructions asked me to replace the Shell32.dll file in the SYSTEM32 folder with their own shell32 file.

I did the following:
  • Renamed the existing shell32.dll to "shell32.dll.original".
  • Copied the shell32 file I downloaded from the Visualstyle skin and tried pasting it in the SYSTEM32 folder as directed. Note: I don't think I pasted this successfully because I tried looking for the new shell32.dll file in this folder, but could not.
  • So I tried to copy&paste it again, but still couldn't find the new file. I figured it was probably hidden somewhere or that it would show up later.. (I don't know... obviously technology isn't my strong suit) so I restarted the computer as told to complete the visualstyle transformation.
  • And that's where I find myself now:

The computer is unable to boot up properly. I get a black screen with this message:
Title: LogonUI.exe - Unable To Locate Component
Message: This application has failed to start because SHELL.32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I've tried booting from Safe Mode with command prompt. Following some googled advice, I tried this command:
copy "C:\WINDOWS\System32\shell32.dll.original" "C:\WINDOWS\System32\shell32.dll"
in hopes of renaming the original.

It didn't work. Response given was "file not found" or something to that effect.
Some forums have said to try booting from CD. I don't have the original Vista disk. I bought my laptop from Staples and they only made me a Recovery Dvd (in 2 discs) which I don't think I can boot from? (Could be wrong here).

My comp: Vista Home Premium SP1 installed.

Thank you for any help at all

P.S. In your reply, please assume that I am very limited in computer knowledge because I am!
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi tealishless. Boot back into Safe Mode with a Command Prompt and type the below command very carefully. Print it out first if you cant refer to it while you are typing it. Include all spaces, underscores, hyphens and quotation marks too. Hit Enter.

Code:
copy "C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shell32_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18062_none_6bea4bea122ac813\shell32.dll" "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll"
You should get a message that the file was successfully copied. Reboot and let us know if this helped.
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Thank you for your reply, AnneMarie.

The prompt was received. Message was: "1 file<s> copied".

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to reboot at this point! I was just going to ctrl alt del and restart it that way, but I don't know if that's the best way to do it. Any suggestions?

Thank you again.
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

Yep that's fine.
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Ah! The Windows boot screen lasted longer this time, but it was still not to be.

I still got a blank screen with this error window again:
Title: LogonUI.exe - Unable To Locate Component
Message: This application has failed to start because SHELL.32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

The difference, this time, is that when I click on the error window and move it around, it leaves a "lagging trace", if you get what I mean. So it looks like there's hundreds of windows behind the error window.

Edit: After I click "ok" in the error window, I get to the "Welcome screen" with the same error window. I forgot to mention that this happened before as well.

Last edited by tealishless; December 6th, 2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, well we know the file was copied across. Go back into Safe Mode with a Command Prompt and type the below command and hit Enter

regsvr32 shell32.dll

You should get a message that DllRegisterServer in shell32.dll succeeded (if not, post the exact error message back here). Reboot again,
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Another forum (sorry) suggested creating a portable Knoppix, following this: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01...b-knoppix-510/

Is that feasible?

I don't really understand how it could work anyway. The instructions seem mean that I should install the program and run the file ON my comp that is currently disabled. At least that's what it seems to me. If that is the case, it isn't possible because I can't get anywhere with my laptop at its current state.

Edit: sorry, didn't see your reply. I'll try your suggestion now. Thanks.
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:58 AM

I tried your command. The error message I got:

Title: RegSvr32
Msg: The module "shell32.dll" failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.
The specified module could not be found.
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, one last try. We might need to type the full path in the mode you are in.

Type:

RegSvr32 C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Just to interject, not sure if this is of any relevance:
In case you missed it, in my OP I mentioned that the original shell32.dll file has not been deleted. I simply renamed it and left it in the SYSTEM32 folder where I found it. It's still there, I'm assuming -- and with the name "shell32.dll.original"
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:03 AM

The response to that last effort, gave the same RegSvr32 error unfortunately.
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, try the above command first and if it doesnt succeed, type the below command:

dir /s /a "c:\shell32*.*"

Post back the full name of all shell32 files on the System32 folder and their file size.
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM

This cmd: dir /s /a "c:\shell32*.*" gave me:

Volume in drive C is S3A6134D002
Volume Serial Number is B23F-E680

There is A TON of shell32 files listed following that. Here goes:
C:\Users\owner\downloads\customization Folder\NextLevel Add-on
0 file 0 bytes "Next Level Add on" is the add-on I was trying to implement when my problems began

C:\Users\owner\downloads\customization folder\nextlevel add-on\shell32 for topshellstyle
1 file 11,314,176 bytes

C:\Users\owner\downloads\customization folder\nextlevel add-on\vista SP1 shell32.dll
1 file 11,579,392 bytes

C:\windows\resources\themes\DEUCE Name of another skin I tried before "Next Level"
1 file 11,579,392 bytes

... there are tons more. I'll keep posting the rest, but I'll let you see what there is so far.
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

I just want to see the files (and filenames and filesize) in the System32 folder at this stage tealishless. I have to log out soon and I will not be back for about an hour.
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM

More vista skins I tried... (Deuce,gaia,neion)

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\DEUCE
1 file 11,579,392 bytes

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\GAIA08
1 file 11,579,392 bytes

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Neion\system files
0 file 0 bytes

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Neion-black\system files
0 file 0 bytes

The list continues...

C:\Windows\System32
11,580,416 shell32.dll.original.dll <-- !!?
11,580,416 bytes

C:\Windows\System32\en-US
561,152 shell32.dll.mui <-btw, this line here - I neglected to include in the previous entries to this list. I could go back and list them if it's important
561,152 bytes

...much more to come
Closed Topic