Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Vista - Lousy performance

Hi,

I'd recently reformat my pc, everything seems ok and I had no problems at first until recently, I realized my transfer speed for MSN and Bitcomet (upload/download) is very slow. I did not have any problems like this before reformatting. I have also tried lots of things (turning off services, programs and features) to improve the performance but there seems to be no improvement at all. Theres a live journal thingy and a few other processes still sitting comfortably on my task mgr under the 'process' tab even though I had already disabled that service. My PC would sometimes get laggy and jerky, applications will jam up from time to time.. When I checked the task mgr, I realized that there are a few duplicated processes. Is this the cause of my problem? Can anyone help me~?

Appreciate your help!

Thank you~

Last edited by leonistic; July 14th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Need more info. How much memory does the system have? VISTA is a memory hog and a minimum of 1GB is really needed 2GB is better.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Hello Murf,

I have a 160GB HDD and 2GB Ram, running @ intel core2duo 6300

I am using the same system wif the same specs before reformatting. It was only after the reformat when this problem came up.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Sorry my bad; thought you upgraded to VISTA then the problems.

Duplicate processes are they svghost by chance? Or programs? Have you tried clearing everything in Start-Up and see if the performance picks up? (use MSCONFIG)
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:55 PM

Hmm.. the startups in msconfig is ok, the duplicate processes are svchosts and avp.exe, csrss.exe, rundll32.exe, sidebar.exe, taskeng.exe(3). Some of these duplicates are run by SYSTEM and the other Jan while some is running with same users.

Theres a few that I already disabled thru services but they still appear on the processes list . One of these is usnsvc.exe.

There are also a few more other processes that I have not seen before reformatting.
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:40 PM

usnsvc.exe is a Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service from Microsoft Corporation belonging to MSN Messenger

avp.exe is a process belonging to Kaspersky Internet Security Suite. It is also a process which is registered as a trojan to determine whether avp.exe is a virus or a legitimate Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from.

Common paths
%programfiles%\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus\avp.exe
%programfiles%\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-virus 6.0\avp.exe
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM

Yup, the processes are legitimate but the sending and receiving of files thru MSN and downloading from Bitcomet is very slow.. Can u explain why those processes have duplicates? I mean I dont remember seeing them before
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:44 PM

Not familiar with Bitcomet but does it have a Preferences Menu so that you can set it to your IP address instead of net.bind_ip???