Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Cd/Dvd Rom drive issues

Hi,

My Cd/Dvd Rom drive has been giving me a few issues since yesterday. When I place a Cd into the drive it sometimes doesn't notice it; I go to My Computer and double click on the drive and pop up message comes up (i don't remember what it exactly said).

Other times it it will recognize the disk but the auto play doesn't appear and when I look at My computer I don't see a picture that a Cd is in the drive. The only way you can tell that there is a Cd is it says "0 bytes free of..."

Only my Philips DVD-Rom DROM6316 drive does not notice Cd's or Dvd's sometimes. My TSSTcorp DVD+RW TS-H553A does recognize it. But both drives don't show a picture that there is a Cd in the drive and the auto play doesn't come up.

I did install an ISO image creator yesterday to create an image of one my Cd's but that didn't work out too well and I uninstall it. Anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks for any help
'Lock
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
For the drive to use the auto play option open the "My Computer" on your desktop then right click on one of your drives (you will have to do it with both) and click properties. Once the properties opens click the "AutoPlay" tab on top, in the top dropdown box make sure music files is showing then put a check in the "Select an action to perform" Then pick the player you want to use and click apply.
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:42 PM

There is no Autoplay tab in the properties theres only General, Hardware, Sharing, and Customize.

I tried uninstalling both drives, then unplugged and replugged the cables and then starting up the computer. Then I went to dell's driver site and downloaded the firmware for the drive. I ran that and it flashed the drive, but it didn't fix the problem.

I'm Running Vista Home Premium
Dell XPS 410
Philips DVD-Rom DROM6316
TSSTcorp DVD+RW TS-H553A

Oh and the pop up box that comes up when it doesn't recognize the CD is the "Burn a Disk" window.

Last edited by 'Lock; September 5th, 2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:59 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
if you click on your start button then type autoplay in the search box you should be able to see Autoplay and access it from there then you can configure the options and save them.
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM

I've tried this, but the autoplay still doesn't come up.