Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM

Top one :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleite View Post
he he, hi first post,
this is how you fix it
get to the command prompt screen and type bootrec /fixboot

also bootrec /fixmbr
for the hell of it

this is for anybody who might still need this or who will need it in the future. I got that same error message after compressing my drive to "save space" and then getting tired of waiting and cancelling in the middle. he he yeah I know but it only took me a half hour to fix. thanks to all and lets keep spreading the knowledge

(youll need the installation dvd) [i think]

Thanks mate works 10/10 nice one, you have a nice day
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:51 PM

Ok, i didn't get a Vista DVD with my acer aspire 1500 laptop.... i kno lame, so how do i fix the BOOTMGR is compressed problem now?! Need serious help because I have projects to do on my laptop after Easter!
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Strack. You are going to have to study your manual or call Acer and see if you have access to Vista's Recovery Environment. If so, open the Command Prompt ( See here) and type the below command and hit Enter.

compact /U C:\bootmgr

Reboot and let us know if this helped.
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Command Prompt.

The link you gave for the Comand Prompt says i need to insert my Windows Vista DVD, I don't have one, never did. So major problem lol, Im going to get a friend of mine to look at it because he is great with computers but he wont be home until today, so if he fixes it, i'll let you know how he did..
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yes I know but your Acer may have the Recovery Environment preinstalled. Some brands do and it can be accessed by rebooting and tapping F8 or F11 or F12. That's why I said to check your manual. I posted the link to show you how to access the Command Prompt once you are in the Recovery Environment.
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Hey

I managed to get this problem as well after cancelling the compression process. When I first got the "BOOTMGR is compressed"-message I tried to Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart, but nothing happend. I read this thread and found the Vista DVD and try to boot from CDROM, and when I get "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" nothing happens, I try to press Enter and all that but nothing happens and in the end I get the BOOTMGR message again. Switched to another keyboard, but still the same. Can't really understand why - as I can navigate in BIOS, but not the F12 Boot menu or during this black screen.

Got a lot of projects that I need to finish, so any help would be really appreciated!
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:10 AM
CTH Subscriber

Have you checked in the Bios to make sure it is configured to boot from the CDRom drive? See here for more help.
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Have you checked in the Bios to make sure it is configured to boot from the CDRom drive? See here for more help.
Yeah, the CDROM is set as first boot device, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I built the computer about two/three weeks ago and had Vista 64 Ultimate running on it without any problems until I cancelled the compression process. I've previously had my two harddrives (Samsung Spinpoint 250GB and 500GB) in my old computer where I ran Windows XP. Formated the PC and all that, but is it worth a try to insert the Windows XP DVD instead and try booting from that?

Still can't figure out why it won't respond when I press any key to boot from the CDROM.
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

Are you using a genuine Microsoft Vista DVD to boot with?
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Are you using a genuine Microsoft Vista DVD to boot with?
I've managed to boot from the Vista DVD now, as it wasn't the DVD that was the problem but apparently it was the USB keyboards I'd been trying out. Found an old keyboard with DIN connector (believe that's the name for it) and I managed to boot from the DVD. So I'm going to try the methods listed in this thread and I'll edit this post later with the outcome.

I tried knarfishness method and it took less than five minutes and got my system back up and running. Now I just have to figure out why my Vista partition is loosing so much free space, considering I don't install anything on that drive - except for those programs, folders etc. that automatically gets installed there.

Last edited by dcbel; April 18th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks for the update dcbel. Please start a new topic if you need help with tracking your disk space issue.
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:17 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
BOOTMGR Compressed

Hi everyone,

I did compress my C drive to "save space"... and got the Bootmgr compressed error.. I've tried running all the help commands given but none of it work, I even tried to the /ScanOs command, but that didn't work either.. at the end it gives me a "Total identified Windows installations: 0".. which is weird, because when I load the drivers of my HD it shows that Windows VISTA is on it..

Anyone knows how to solve this problem?!

Sincerely,
Mr. Sniper01
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM

Awsome suggestion....bootrec /fixboot worked flawlessly and took only a minute. I had compressed my HDD to save on space and rebooted and kept getting the same message. The other suggestions on attrib changes and Advance Repairs did not work for me since it could not find bootmgr. Thanks.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Hi I have an acer aspire one Laptop and have got the same problem, but looking at all the suggested options, I have no DVD slot, neither a DVD. I have got Windows XP/VIsta both installed on the PC< they came with the factory installation. I was working on my XP system when it suddenly crashed..and When i tried to start it up, i got the "BOOTmgr is compressed" message..Please help as I have my exams and 2 days time..and all my work is on this laptop.
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Thumbs up Thank You Very Much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfishness View Post
Heh, I found an easier way to fix this, and registered just to tell you, ><.

Boot from the Vista DVD.
Click 'Repair my Computer'
At the prompt to select your OS installation, click the button that says 'Load Drivers'. This should bring up a explorer-style drive browser.

Then just right-click on the drive you tried to compress, and deselect 'Compress this Drive', which should still be ticked on. Hit apply, and apply to subfolders/files.

Reboot.

Fixed it for me in a hurry, hope this helps someone else.

-knarfishness
I just registered to the site to thank you for the information on how to fix this problem...worked like a charm...again you have my thanks...

- Wolf -
Closed Topic