Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Smile First Impressions/Problems

Well it looks nice (not aero on my 512mb ram laptop)

Just spent an hour trying to solve my wireless issue (wouldn't connect)
seems to work if I set my router to WEP but it won't connect using WPA (Intel wireless, latest driver).

Bit slow to load but I'm surprised that it runs smoothly once loaded considering its eating all the ram!

Last edited by 30111987; January 23rd, 2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:55 AM

It finds and installs drivers for you. Visually its beautiful. But the fact it uses most (actually all) the ram. Is a joke.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
I only had it for a very short time and I have to say, I looked very good, nice fluid movement of everything, a ton of options are now right in front of you and easy to understand for a novice user, I'll be testing it more soon (I'm building a budget PC to use my 13 OS boot monster.....case, mobo, CPU for $200, other parts I already had, that's the good thing about having random crap around everywhere)
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

hmm installed the Vista drivers for the touchpad but keep getting this everytime I restart (it appears while loading the desktop):

I have unchecked the box (as seen) but it keeps coming back!
I have also found the file and in its properties clicked unblock but it seems to reset if the laptop if ever powered off
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I have been using the beta version and its great, the only thing thats going to keep me from upgrading to it besides the price is theres no driver for my magicolor laser printer.

I might be able to handle the price now I got a ski mask but I gotta have me printer.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by watts320 View Post
It finds and installs drivers for you. Visually its beautiful. But the fact it uses most (actually all) the ram. Is a joke.
i am running windows vista with a few apps open at the moment, 26% ram usage, isnt alot.

You shold expect to use more ram than previous versions of windows, the aero user experience is bound to use more memory, as are the other features, its just a cost of being up to date, and with most pcs these days running at least 1GB of memory, they'll be fine..

People who immediately shout vista down as being a memory hog are jumping to unfounded conclusions. Take the aero user experience off and you see a similar memory usage to windows xp pro.....

Vista is scalable, so will only do what it feels the pc can handle.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronAces View Post
People who immediately shout vista down as being a memory hog are jumping to unfounded conclusions. Take the aero user experience off and you see a similar memory usage to windows xp pro.....
actually vista is a memory hog, it requires alot more than xp to run efficently. but then its depends upon what your definition of what a memory hog is. IMO, if you run vista, you better have at least 1 gig ram with none of it being used for video even if you are not using areo.
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

hmm well I gave up and reinstalled Vista

This time I installed the touchpad stuff first and have not installed AVG. So far so good (error at the desktop startup is gone).

Can do without AV for a short while as I'm only installing a very few trusted apps and wont be opening any email attachments etc.

edit: got a 1024MB Ram module this morning from crucial - now got about 1.25 gig of ram (had to take out 256MB to fit in the new module).
Runs a buit quicker now but I'm still avoiding AVG as it seemed to be behind all of my problems before.

Last edited by 30111987; January 24th, 2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:55 AM

I'm liking it so far, it's very user friendly and the networking features are a huge plus. Aero is pretty cool, but after you've been exposed to compiz/xgl you're kind of not totally impressed lol.

Only problem I had was that auzentech hasn't released a vista driver yet for their sound cards, which has left me with no sound. This isn't MS's fault, so I don't count it against them.

Otherwise, I give MS the thumbs up on this one.
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:20 AM

auzentech, try the XP driver. I forced the XP driver for my CMedia, it works fine....

AVG working fine in mine, although I am a big Norton fan and would like to get it working.
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:25 AM

hmmm... I'll try that and post back.

My second impression: I absolutely HATE wmp11 and vista's default program scheme. heh.

edit: wow, it worked! Sounds like crap since I cannot adjust it to how I like it with auzentech's software, but hey, i'll take it for now! Good call there, Murf!

Last edited by khanibal; January 26th, 2007 at 08:32 AM.