Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:23 PM

Location is not accessible...Access denied

I have a toshiba external hard drive. I am having issues accessing the data. When I try to access it, the dialog box states "Location is not available, F:\ is not accessible. Access is denied.
I have tried several ways to change the persmissions, the drive letter, as well as restarting/shutting down several times.
Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this issue?
Please help.
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:51 AM

Please, can anyone help me. I've been struggling with this for quite a while...
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hello purple888,

Suggests the data on the drive is corrupt somehow. Try running a check disk against it. Given Win 8 metro's limitations, but also viewing what steps you have taken so far, I will assume for now you can complete the following steps.

Go to Start Search, type cmd.exe in the Start Search box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as administrator". At the prompt copy/paste the following, pressing Enter after each:

chkdsk f: /r

Allow the disk to be checked, then try accessing it again.