Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:25 PM

moving email from Outlook to Out. Exp (XP)

I need to move my email from Outlook (Vista) to another machine which uses Outlook express with XP. (I know they are not compatible)

I was told you could import from Outlook to Windows Mail in Vista, and then just copy the DBX files to the new machine- But, I can't seem to find the .dbx files I imported.

Does someone have an easy procedure????
Thanks
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi davecharles. Windows Mail doesnt use dbx files like Outlook Express. Each email is now an individual .eml file. It's not too onerous though. Copy the folders you want to transfer from your message store (to find the location, open Windows Mail and click on Tools > Options > Advanced > Maintenance > Store Folder) to your XP Desktop and then open Outlook Express and just drag and drop the files into the appropriate folders in Outlook Express.
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the tip- However, when I get to the Windows mail store location, all I find is a folder labeled winmail.fol. When I click on Organize>folder & search options>view and select "show and search hidden files", nothing still happens--???
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Old July 11th, 2008, 11:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
That's a file not a folder. Your import obviously didnt work. Try again.