Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old September 13th, 2017, 01:05 AM

Wireless signal shows 1 bar but internet is fast

Hi,

I'm not very concerned right now (unless I should be) but I just find it curious and wanted to ask. My netgear wireless signal is usually 2-3 bars but lately it's been down to just 1 or 2 but most of the time it's just 1 bar. This is unusual for me. Right now, my connection speed is pretty fast enough for me. I can go from one site to another quickly enough and get things loaded quickly. I'm just curious why I have that 1 bar often though. Is it something to be concerned about?

I did have a slow connection recently and a 1 bar often so I unplugged my router and stuff for a bit and plugged everything back in. My connection's better now but still got a 1 bar. Should I be concerned that something's up? What does 1 bar with a quick enough connection means?

Thanks.
Old September 14th, 2017, 07:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
bars really don't mean much as long as you are getting a good signal. it is near impossible to give an answer. it could be you could have interference from some other devices, the router getting old, the phone is getting old, you could be holding the phone wrong :-) or whatever.

what about other wifi devices? are the bars as normal? the best you can do right now is make sure the router as the latest updates and nothing is piled up around it.
Old September 14th, 2017, 08:38 PM

ok thanks for the response. The part about holding the phone wrong made me laugh. That's funny lol.

And yeah the wifi signals on other devices are fine.