Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old October 1st, 2017, 06:05 PM

Keep having to unplug and replug my router more often

Hey,

So I have Windows 8.1, all 3 in one computer (hp) and a netgear router. There are two computers in this house. One computer has the cable box, everything right close to a computer and the internet on that computer hardly have any problems at all. Great connection and everything. Now there's another computer in the house and the internet connection would have problems like once a week or every other week or more, it's almost random actually and this is happening recently. We've had netgear for a couple of years and the connection for both computers have been great so far until recently. So to connect for the internet on this computer that's farther away from the router, I'd just let my computer find the connection once I've unplugged the router from the wall. This computer is like 3 rooms from the room where the other computer is which has the router closest to it.

So everything's been going great but in the last month or so, I've had to unplug and replug the router more often because either I can't connect or the connection is very slow on the computer that is farther away from the router. The computer with the router right by it has no problem at all and it's been a while since that computer has had any problems. Now this isn't happening all the time because when I unplug and replug, the connection is great for only a couple days or three then the connection starts to get slower or I see the 1 bar more often and then suddenly, I get online unless I unplug and replug. This is not a problem for the other computer and neither computers have been moved in ages.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old October 1st, 2017, 09:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what model number of router? are they connected wire or wireless. do you have other devices other than computers that are connected to the router, tablets, smartphones, smarthome devices, dvds, tvs, gaming consoles, security or any other not mentioned?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 07:03 PM

Model number is WNDR3700v3. It's wireless. 6 devices are connected. On TV, we do have Roku and we can also connect to amazon. We got two computers connected to this one same router as well. There is one that I'm not sure what that is then there's one smartphone listed but I know another smartphone is also connected but for some reason that's not listed on my netgear's website. Maybe that's the one I'm not sure about or maybe it has to do with another TV and I use netflix on that TV. Actually, we can use netflix on another TV as well so seems like that's more than 6 devices but maybe not. Anyway, bottom line is we have two computers that connects to one router. There's two others who lives with me and we have smartphones. I have one, one person has one and one person has several but I think her work connects her, not our router. We got two TV that can connect to netflix, one TV connects to amazon (amazon TV, I guess) and also the Roku. Again, no problems with internet whatsoever on one computer but I get disconnected sometimes on the other computer that's farther away from the router.

Oh I remembered. A kindle is also a device connected. Could be one of the devices listed that I'm not sure of or it could be amazon. Now I think of it, I don't think anyone in the house uses amazon tv but I could be wrong. Since this has been happening, I don't think there's been any changes in our devices as far as removing or adding any new ones. We've been using all those devices for a while now.

Last edited by Liz81; October 2nd, 2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
that router should be able to handle everything you have so generally it should not be the problem. go into the router settings and make sure it has the latest update. also call your internet service provider and have them check the line. did you get any new electronics just prior to when the problem started?

Last edited by renegade600; October 2nd, 2017 at 09:18 PM.