Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:22 AM

home network setup?

Firstly sorry if this information has already been posted as i done a search and couldnt find the information.

We are buying another computer and moving this one to my brothers room upstairs and the new one to my room upstairs, firstly the cable going from the phone connection to the modem to the back of the computer isnt long enough to go all the way upstairs, is there a way of solving this problem? do we have to call our broadband provider and ask them for a longer cable?,

also how would i go about setting up a lan, i was told i will need to buy another phone line to do this? which seems kind of pointless, do i need anything specific?, im new to this so any advice would be incredibly helpfull.
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
You don't need a second line. There are a couple of ways to do this. The best (IMHO) is a setup like this:

Modem <---->router<-- ethernet-->PC
router<--- ethernet or wireless ---> PC2

Now the easiest and cheapest is to wired to both PCs, but that requires running cables