Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:02 PM

XP & The Intermittent Internet Connection

I really hope someone can help me this. This has been a two week/two reformat issue!!

I reformatted last weekend and when everything came up and I got on-line, I noticed that my internet connection was really slow. I'm on a cable modem so I thought maybe traffic was heavy. Later that night, I tried it again and everything seemd faster...for a while. I then noticed what was going on; I was losing my connection for a couple of seconds and then getting it back. AIM and MSN kept signing on and off and that was my gauge. I tried looking for a pattern, but there really was none. Sometimes I would be OK for 15-20 minutes, and sometimes for 1 minute.

Here is my setup:

Biostar NForce2 mobo (on-board LAN/Sound)
AMD 2600+
512MB RAM
GeForce Ti4200 Vid Card
6GB Partition for XP

XP with SP1/all updates
Kerio Firewall
AVG Antivirus
AdAware 6
Spybot S&D

As far as software goes, this is ALL that's on the box presently. I reformatted (again) last night thinking it was something in one of the patches or a driver, so I reformatted and loaded just the needed apps. I got online and tested, and same thing happened. I've checked Device Manager and Network Properties and everything looks OK. There is nothing in the Event Viewer, so it's like Windows doesn't see a problem. I've also restarted the router and modem, but this did nothing.

My next step is to insert a PCI NIC to see if there's some issue with the on-board NIC, but I wanted to get some other ideas before cracking it open and starting with the hardware.

If anyone has ANY ideas, please forward them. I could use any advise on this that I can get!!
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM

O/S: MacOS
Have you updated the drivers for your board? I'm guessing you did if the onboard LAN works, but I gotta ask... also, how old is the modem? The modem itself may be having problems holding the connection if it is on it's deathbed.
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:40 PM

Angry Similar Issue

I recently was plagued with a trojan, I couldn't get rid of it, so I reformatted and reloaded xp. Now when I go on the internet (I have cable), it is super slow or times out. I may have small window in the evening where it seems faster. I can't download updates or anything. The other computers on my lan are surfing just fine, so it's not my modem.

I would like to know if/when this issue gets solved and what was done.

thanks
Old June 21st, 2004, 05:58 PM

GoofNut,

Well your problem looks to be a little different than mine. My problem ended up being an issue with the physical cable outside of my house. I called the cable company, and when he arrived he did a visual check of my setup. Everything inside was OK, so he went oustide and took a look at the cable. Looked like the gardener had unknowingly cut into the cable. This was causing the intermittent loss. He replaced the cable, re-ran it in a better manner, and then replaced the modem. Everything became nice and speedy!

As far as your issue, it sounds like it's isolated on the one machine. The first thing I would suggest doing is making sure that you've done a soft and a hard reset of your modem (since there has been a new device connected to it). I would also make sure that after that has been done that you do a release/renew on your XP box.

If this doesn't fix the issue, try another NIC. I know it may sound strange, but I've seen a lot of components go bad when a different problem rears its ugly head.

The other things you can try as far as troubleshooting are:

- Try a different network cable
- Try connecting your network cable into a different port on the router
- Try connecting the modem directly into the "bad" PC
- Connect your PC to one of the other connections that you know is working

Try this and see what happens. If you are still having problems, please reply back and we'll go with Plan G.

Good Luck!!
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:34 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Quote:
My problem ended up being an issue with the physical cable outside of my house. I called the cable company, and when he arrived he did a visual check of my setup. Everything inside was OK, so he went oustide and took a look at the cable. Looked like the gardener had unknowingly cut into the cable. This was causing the intermittent loss. He replaced the cable, re-ran it in a better manner, and then replaced the modem. Everything became nice and speedy!
Thanks for the update
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:00 AM

AIM intermittent

I have the same problem with my new table PC. I travel and have it wherever I go. I have it at my hose with my wireless LAN and ethernet. I have another hard wired PC and another wireless laptop on the newtork and they work fine. I have traveled all over the US and Asia and get the same reults. My AIM reconect an average of 1 every 10 minutes. My buddies have had to dissably the sound when someone arrives.

I see that this post was about a year ago I am hoping that someone has found the solution.

Thank you,
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

You need to do some online scans:
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/#

http://www.ewido.net/en/