Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old February 10th, 2023, 02:13 AM

Thumbs up Out of memory

I have Dell Optiplex 360 with windows 10 I have been using it for years without any problem but lately when I try to print anything I get the message " out of memory save or close any open files or application" when I click ok it print the file, The only open file I have is the one I am trying to print. I tried running sfc /scannow, chkdsk restarting the computer , without any success . Do you have any suggestion ?
Old February 10th, 2023, 09:49 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Jerry56,

Have you run Windows Memory Diagnostics utility?
  1. Press Windows key + R on the Keyboard.
  2. Type mdsched.exe in the Search box, and then press Enter.
  3. Choose whether to restart the computer and run the tool immediately or schedule the tool to run at the next restart.
  4. Windows Memory Diagnostics runs automatically after the computer restarts and performs a standard memory test automatically. If you want to perform fewer or more tests, press F1, use the Up and Down arrow keys to set the Test Mix as Basic, Standard, or Extended, and then press F10 to apply the desired settings and resume testing.
  5. When testing is completed, the computer restarts automatically. You’ll see the test results when you log on.

If that doesn't help.
You can try Microsofts "RAMMAP" tool.
Basically it will tell how the memory is being used.
Here's the information on the tool, and download link.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...wnloads/rammap

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old February 12th, 2023, 06:25 AM

Thumbs up

I did the memory test and it didn't find any problem.
Old February 13th, 2023, 09:47 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Here is an article on the issue, as well as things you can try.

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-computer-low-memory/

Note: I'm seeing some other people saying that Microsoft Edge maybe causing issues with older machines.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old February 14th, 2023, 02:25 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
It could be the memory for the printer, not the computer. Try Googling out of memory for printer.
Old February 15th, 2023, 06:56 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Turn off the printer and unplug it from the electrical outlet. Leave the printer unplugged for a minute before reconnecting the power to make sure the memory completely loses power. After plugging the printer in and turning it on, wait until the printer finishes its startup sequence before sending a new print job.

Or check the home page of the printer to see how to clear the memory.
Old February 16th, 2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I tried running sfc /scannow, chkdsk restarting the computer , without any success .
What does without success mean? Did sfc report any errors it could not fix? Did chkdsk complete and report any errors it could not fix?

How much free disk space do you have on your boot drive? If your boot disk is almost out of space, you can get this error because Windows is unable to save temporary files as needed and/or, use the page file as needed.
Old February 16th, 2023, 09:15 PM

Thumbs up

Scannow found and fix error ,chdsk didn't find any error and the boot drive have lot of free space,
Old February 17th, 2023, 12:15 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Did you try what Murf and myself suggested?
Old February 17th, 2023, 07:37 AM

Thumbs up

Yes I tried what both of you said but that didn't solve the problem, also I have two (2) computers and the problem is only on one of them.
Old February 17th, 2023, 04:04 PM

We really know nothing about this computer. Dell Optiplex 360 is almost like saying you have a Ford pickup truck. Not very descriptive. What is the complete model number? How much RAM is installed?

You say you have two computers and the other prints fine. So that tells us the printer most likely is okay. Is the other computer also a Dell Optiplex 360 and same model? Does it also have W10 installed?

I ask about W10 because according to Dell, the Dell Optiplex 360 does not support W10 (or W11). See: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...ex-360/drivers

Did it ever print fine with W10?

Look in Task Manager > Performance > Memory. What is it showing for Memory consumption? In the left side panel, you should see CPU, Memory, Disk, etc. Under Memory, it should show something like (using mine as an example), 7.0/32.0GB (22%).

What that tells me is I have 32GB of physical memory installed and I currently am using (it rounds off) 7.0GB of that, or 22%. What does yours show?

And have you received an out of memory error when doing anything else? Or is it only when you try to print?

You say this happens when you try to print "anything". Instead of sending a print job, got to Control Panel > Devices and Printers. Find your printer then Right-click on that, then select Printer properties > Print Test Page.

What happened?

Also under Control Panel, when you Right-click on your printer, there is a Troubleshoot option. Does that find any errors?

One more thing, then I am out of ideas. You can try to reset the print spooler service.
1. Open an Elevated Command Prompt (as Administrator) (I usually use “Way 2”)
2. Enter the following one at a time (recommend cut and paste, at least for second command). Press the Enter key after each entry to execute command.
net stop spooler

DEL /F /S /Q %systemroot%\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*

net start spooler
3. Type exit to close command prompt window.
4. Cross fingers.
5. Try to print something.
Old February 18th, 2023, 12:04 AM

Thumbs up

The only name on the computer is Optplex 360 and the OS is windows 10, I bought this computer about 3 years ago from a company that refurbish computers so they may have upgrade it.
Since I got it I have been using it with windows 10 without any problem only lately this problem started.
The memory readings are 2.7 / 3.9 GB 69% I wanted to upgrade the memory but this computer only support 4 GB.
I did the test In control panel under devise and there was no error and the print test was o.k without any out of memory.
My other computer is HP with windows 11 and 32 GB memory.
Old February 18th, 2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
2.7 / 3.9 GB 69%
2.7 is a tiny amount - barely enough for the operating system itself, let alone your security and then applications on top of that.

It also suggests you are using integrated graphics and not a separate card. The problem with integrated graphics is a big chunk of system RAM is stolen... err... "shared" for graphics processing.

It also looks like that computer may be using a 32-bit version of W10, and not 64-Bit. Because of how hardware is mapped in 32-bit operating systems, some of that precious system RAM is dedicated to mapping and no available for processing - limiting your resources even more.

You said you have a lot of free space - be specific, please. How much?

In the mean time, I suggest you copy the file you want to print over to that other computer, then print it from there.
Old February 18th, 2023, 06:20 PM

Thumbs up

The computer is 64-bit. free space on C drive is 154 GB , E drive 115 GB free space. I can print anything I want on this Computer (When the out of memory sign come up at the bottom of the message I click O.K and the item print).
I just don't like to see that message popping up.
I just wondering why for the last 3 yrs I was printing without any problem .why it just acting up now.
Old February 18th, 2023, 06:40 PM

The computer can be 64-bit - that does not mean the operating system is.

Quote:
I can print anything I want on this Computer (When the out of memory sign come up at the bottom of the message I click O.K and the item print).
That would have been good to know from the start.

The fact it allows you to print any way is indeed, odd. I am at a loss, sorry. But I will keep looking.