Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 5th, 2016, 10:17 PM

Can not open any files

2 stage problem-Message for both-This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.-1)could not open File explorer and Control Panel, other files/folders would open in VLC. Downloaded Open Freely-which helped with some files. Still had problem mainly with .exe files. Help site instructed me to go into regedit in order to change .exe to default settings. Changed the Value Data to- "%1"%* Now nothing opens. Upon right clicking any desktop program you see the new Value Data instead of "open". I need to get back into regedit to try to reverse stage 2 (at least). The only things that I can open are IE and Chrome. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I have watched countless videos on YouTube but none helped. I also can install/run apps from the Microsoft Store, but again, none helped
Old April 6th, 2016, 07:39 PM

Have you tried system restore? It might help.
Old April 7th, 2016, 12:07 AM

reply to lizchurch

The problem has been fixed-by basically rebuilding the registry and using many programs with fix_exe and exe_fix in the title. Originally, no programs-including system restore would open. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:02 PM

to he.nkoes27790

See previous response-No files/programmes worked including System Restore-had to rebuild registry. My advice to anyone with problems-Go to YouTube first.
Old July 11th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Banned

You should reset your system to the time when your system was working well.
Old July 11th, 2016, 10:08 PM

Thanks John Michel. Unfortunately, System Restore was not working as well- so I did not have this option. The problem has been fixed. I basically had to rebuild my registry. Advice to all-do not mess with RegEdit, and back up your registry!
I do have a new problem- can not upgrade to Win10. After installation it automatically restores back to 8.1.