Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:37 PM

Question Starting Windows

I turned on my other computer, running windows xp on a hp pavilion system, sign on to aim then go off and do something else.
Then out of no where the computer restarts itself and then comes up with the message 'Operating System Not Found'. I changed nothing and didnt load anything else. Anyone have any idea what happened to my computer or what's wrong with it? Thanks.
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:54 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi NexusUniverse,
Since the problem occurred, having you tried restarting it either by powering it completely off and then powering on again or by hitting the Reset button?

Sometimes "flukes" like this occur, and are reset by restarting the system.

If you have tried restarting it and are still faced with the "Operating System Not Found" message, my first question to you is do you have a regular install CD for WINXP, or is what you have a Restore or Recovery CD?
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Re: Starting Windows

Quote:
Originally posted by NexusUniverse
I turned on my other computer, running windows xp on a hp pavilion system, sign on to aim then go off and do something else.
Then out of no where the computer restarts itself and then comes up with the message 'Operating System Not Found'. I changed nothing and didnt load anything else. Anyone have any idea what happened to my computer or what's wrong with it? Thanks.
Operating System Not Found" Error Message When You Start the Computer

The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

This article was previously published under Q321626

SYMPTOMS:

When you start your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you may receive the following error message:
You receive the following error message:

Operating system not found.

Additionally, when you start your computer to the Recovery Console to recover functionality, you receive an error message similar to the following:

Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your computer.

CAUSE:

This behavior may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:
The hard disk is not detected by the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS).
The computer's hard disk is damaged.

RESOLUTION:
To troubleshoot this issue, check the computer's BIOS settings to make sure that the hard disk is listed in, and recognized by, the BIOS. See the computer documentation or contact the hardware manufacturer for information about how to check the BIOS settings.

After you determine that the computer's BIOS detects the hard disk, restart the computer, and then test to see whether the issue is resolved. If the issue is not resolved, or if the computer's BIOS cannot detect the hard disk, this may indicate possible hardware failure. Contact the hardware manufacturer to inquire about how to resolve this issue. You may have to replace the hard disk.

For information about how to contact hardware manufacturers, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
65416 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K

60781 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P

60782 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z

MORE INFORMATION
For additional information about the recovery console, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314058 Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

307654 HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;321626