Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Power Supply turns on all fans, case power on does nothing, no display

Hi all, I just tried replacing my video card yesterday, which I've done at least a hundred times before. Unfortunately, this time something went wrong.

After I screwed in the video card, hooked everything back up, put the case back together, I plugged in the power chord to the Power Supply, and switched it on.

At this point, at least for how my computer has been before, nothing should happen. The LED's should come on, but no fans should turn on until the power button on front of the case is pressed.

Unfortunately, as soon as I turn on the power supply, all the fans start going. I can even open the cd drive. The blue LED on front of the case to indicate power/busy does not come on. The power on switch on the case does nothing. I get no display at all, and I'm completely stumped on what to do.

I've taken out all peripherals, both HD's, CD drive, 1/2 sticks of ram, and even the video card, but every time I turn on the power supply in the back of the case, everything starts whirring. I just don't think it's a real bootup (no display), and I can't understand why just turning on the power supply to allow power to come through is automatically turning everything on and ignoring the case power button.

I would be so utterly amazed if anyone could help me. You would save my year. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!
-Ed

Oops, specs:
MOBO: ASUS A8N5X
CPU: AMD X2 4200+
RAM: 2G DDR2 400
new vid card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800 GT
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:41 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Normally I would say the two wires from the power button to the motherboard are reversed. Did you accidently knock them off then rehook them up?

Try clearing CMOS, either by shorting with jumper or taking battery out. If you don't know where the jumper is, unplug the cord to the power supply and gently remove the watch type battery from the motherboard. Leave out for about 5 minutes. Reinstall then plug in.