Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:54 AM

Arrow Disabling access to Windows 98 without password & GRUB Password?

Hello,

In Windows 98, when you get Logon prompt at startup, you can just press "Escape" & you have access to PC.

By this method you can't prevent someone to Access your PC and Data. is there any RELIABLE way to COMPLETELY DISABLE access to PC & data. (like Windows XP)

I know that logins in windows are not secure & I've also heard that hackers hack passwords in 13 seconds but still, for basic users it would work.

And I want this without having to encrypt the whole partition or Hard Disk.

One more part of this question is that -

Can I set passwrod in GRUB to disable access to Both linux and windows? If yes then HOW?

Sorry for posting linux related part here but more important part of this question is related to Windows 98.

So is there any way to do all this stuff?
Thank You.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
About all you can do is get third party app like Password Safe .
Don't know the product and you can google more free password apps for Windows.
Does your bios have a system password that would prevent entry?
My bios is older and only presents a bios password. But even these can be easily defeated. A boot to dos and a quick debug task can clear them.
Since I only have to worry most about kids, I use the folder settings to hide info, adult stuff not good for kids, anything. Just open folder options and View and click show all files. Then find the folders you want hidden and right click to show properties. Then click the hidden box attribute check. Open folder options again and set for do not show hidden files.
Now anyone with computer sense can do same but most do not think of it as a password application. Just depends on who you want to keep out.