Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:26 PM

Used system restore now windows wont start

Hello and thanks in advance for any help,

Here is what happend:

AVG detected 2 files infected with the java/openstream virus. I could not disinfect the files and I could only move one of them to the virus vault, so I did. Once I did this I started experiencing problems.

1- 2 folders appeared on my second hard drive, RECYCLER and System Volume Information. They were shadowed (not bright like ordinary icons/folders) and I could not delete them because I didn't have access or they were in use. The RECYCLER folder had 2 items in it and a folder, and the system volume information folder contained nothing. Also, these 2 folders were set to read only and could not be changed. Every time I tried to access this hard drive my computer would slow down dramatically and sometimes freeze.

2- Various files appeared on my desktop in the same shadowed appearance described above, which I deleted. Some of these files had AVG in the name so I assumed they had to do with the virus scanner.

3- Various files appeared on my main hard drive which I left alone, again shadowed like mentioned above.

In an attempt to resolve the problem, I restored the infected file from the virus vault and tried to see if other online scanners would disinfect it. I tried trend micro, panda and kapersky with no luck. I also ran microsoft spyware, adaware and spybot as a precaution. With no luck and a noticeable decrease in my computers performance I tried to do a systeam restore (big mistake). I restored to 4 days earlier and it went through the whole restore process except the last step which is actually starting windows. I cannot get windows to load, not regularly, not in safe mode and not with the last known good configuration. I have the xp reinstallation cd supplied by dell but don't really know what to do with it.

Please help me,

Mike
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:02 AM
Banned

Hi Mike,
I have a Dell also and and it defiantely sounds like your going to do a reinstall. Here's the Dell support site on what to do. It's basically put the restore CD in and let it do it's thing. Just so you know you'll lose everything you had on the computer and it will be just like when you turned it on for the first time.
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...SRG&l=en&s=dhs
Here's a link to the best antivirus program in the world right now that you may consider getting.
http://www.eset.com/home/home.htm