Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 27th, 2016, 08:00 AM

Windows Update not installing latest display driver

The latest display driver that Windows have is 13.301.1001.0. Why hasn't Microsoft provided people with newer updates? That driver is from 12/20/13. I have to go to the amd.com website to install new updates which is every month because if I don't, I get a BSOD. So now I've tried to install Crimson Edition 16.2 Hotfix and for some reason, the same old version 13.301.1001.0 is installed instead. I really don't like Crimson Edition because they install old versions!

I also hear from people you should not install display drivers that windows update give you. Is that true?
Old February 27th, 2016, 08:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if your computer is from a major manufacturer, it is best to get the drivers from there. If there is not one available, then, imo, there is no reason to update.
Old February 27th, 2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
if your computer is from a major manufacturer, it is best to get the drivers from there. If there is not one available, then, imo, there is no reason to update.
I have installed my graphic driver from the HP website before and it caused my computer to flicker and the message popped up in the taskbar about the display driver has stopped responding and recovered. So I had to uninstall it and install from amd.com. Now I tried that by installing the latest Crimson edition version which is 16.2 Hotfix and for some reason, it installed an old version 13.301.1001.0 which is the exact same version Windows Update installed.

There's always a reason to update because when I don't, I get a BSOD. About a year ago, I had a problem with the driver that came with this computer and was advised by a member of this forum to just go to amd.com and install the latest update. So I did and got another BSOD when I found out amd.com had another revision date so I thought I needed to install to update again. Amd.com update their revision date every month and amd would not automatically update so doing so manually all the time is becoming a real pain in the neck. I don't mind not updating so often but if I don't, I get a BSOD.

Bottom line.... AMD say they have the latest revision but when I install it, an old version is installed instead. So clearly, AMD is not checking their revisions to make sure the current ones are actually there and not the old ones before they release it to the public. HP have a driver that causes my PC to flicker and give me that error message. Oh and guess what? HP Support Assistant said they had a new version of AMD and it was a different version from what the HP website had. So no one seems to know what is the right version for me to use!

I've been through this for a long time and it's frustrating. I just want to have a graphic driver that will not give me a BSOD at all (even if amd have a new revision date the following month), that will not cause my PC to flicker and give me a message that the display driver stopped responding and have recovered and that will not make my videos choppy or jerky. Every where I go and everything I try.... it's always one of those happening.
Old February 27th, 2016, 07:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
sounds like there is something else going on, not a driver problem, unless you are installing the wrong driver. what is the full model number of the computer?

Last edited by renegade600; February 27th, 2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old March 29th, 2016, 12:56 PM

first you change your windows setting.you can change your windows updrade setting in windows control panel