Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:54 AM

Maybe Driver Issues?

Hello all

I upgraded my laptop to windows 8 and then decided I didn't like it- so I decided to re-install windows 7. Unfortunately, windows 8 gave me a lot of trouble with this process and my laptop didn't come with a windows 7 CD. So I had to use a different windows 7 CD (from my desktop). It's the same version of windows that was already on my laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium) and I even used the same product key (it was on the bottom of my laptop).

When I got back to the familiar windows 7 setting - I realized something was very wrong. Some of the drivers were missing, including the internet drivers. Ok no problem - I used a USB drive to transfer the drivers I could from my desktop to my laptop. But there is still so much missing.

For example: I know my laptop can handle Aero. I even tried to follow instructions on forcing Aero. However, I cannot get the Aero theme working at all! I tried troubleshooting, and I get a "your video card cannot handle Aero." Which is ridiculous because I just got this laptop two months ago and it was using Aero fine.

Another issue... For some reason Windows has difficulty rating my laptop. I was trying to rate it as per the instructions on making Aero work and it gives me an error about how Windows can't detect something.

Lastly one driver I couldn't find anywhere, and Windows can't find anywhere. It's called "SM Bus Controller."

These are my questions: How do I fix the Aero issue? How do I fix the issue about detecting my computer's rating? And what's the deal with the SM Bus Controller driver?

Laptop specs: HP Pavillion g-7-1260us Notebook PC
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i3-2330 CPU @ 2.20 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
System type: 64 bit Operating System
Graphics card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (sorry I can't find any other info for it)

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
The laptop probably has a recovery partition where Windows 7 is stored. Rather than installing Windows 7 using the DVD from your other computer you could of used (and still can) the recovery partition to restore it back to the way it came. Using the recovery you lose all your data and any programs that were installed since you got it.

That laptop came with Windows 7 64 bit, is that what you installed?

Al the drivers are HERE

How to use Recovery Manager

When you upgrade or change Windows to another version, the drivers for the chip set might not install correctly, This causes Windows Device Manager to display the problem with SM Bus Controller step by step to correct.
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:56 PM

Wow, thank you so much! You answered all of my questions.

Thank you again! This means a lot.
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:21 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Let us know how it goes and if you need further help.