Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Question I dont know whats going on...

Compaq Presario CQ5300Y
Windows 7 64 bit
4GB RAM, 3.2 GHz proccesor
2GB Geforce 610 video card
300 GB hard drive
all drivers everywhere are up-to-date and games are original to the aspect of installation files
my issue is that while I am playing either of two games, at random times my computer monitor will go orange (the power button) and I am unable to gain control back.. I cannot use ctrl alt delete, I cannot alt tab out I have no control over my computer again.. My belief is that it is some kind of virus..
does anyone know why this would be happening only when playing games?
Old November 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Exclamation [help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

nobody knows what the hell is going on??? its happened 3 times since I posted this message...
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

The orange light on the monitor means it's not getting a signal from the video card.

That could be due to the card overheating because either the air vents on the case are clogged (yes, happens in the cleanest houses) or the fan on the card isn't working or the connections between the card and the monitor have somehow worked loose.

So check the easiest first. Make sure the connections on both ends of the cable between the monitor and video card are firmly seated and that the cable itself isn't frayed, crimped or otherwise compromised.

The surest way to find out whether the fans, including the one on the video card, are working is to run the computer with the case open and watch to see if the fans come on.

Some video card fans don't run until a load is put on it so start one of your more graphics-intensive games. If the video card fan never starts, you've probably found the culprit.

If all fans are running, the next likely suspect is the video card itself is failing. The only cure for that would be a new video card.
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM

so lets me follow you.. if I hear the video card come on, that means there is more stress or whatever being put on it so it overheats and closes...
thank you for your help.. I am currently running without the side panel and have made a mild attempt to clear the fan (cables and such were in front) as well as some of the dust, cat hair that has accumulated near where I have my PC

Ill let you know if it happens for a third time today or somewhere in the future
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:16 PM

No, if you hear the fan come on then you know its working. Some video card fans don't come on until there's a load on the card.

If you put a load on the card, like with a graphics-intensive game, and the fan doesn't ever come one, it's probably broken. In that case, it will overheat and seem like a random event when the monitor doesn't get a signal and goes to black.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:59 PM

I did notice that when it went again earlier that after I stopped and let the computer rest that the video card itself was rather warm, and then when I just now restarted it, the fan is on and running. I dont know how hot or warm it will get just sitting here using chrome... if it happens again (loses signal or whatever) and the fan stops running, can I conclude the video card itself is failing and start the process of a new one?

Ethan
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:10 PM

I've been thinking this is a desktop computer you're having problems with.

If I'm wrong and it's a laptop, I have almost no experience with laptops past recommending they be taken to a shop with the testing equipment needed to troubleshoot the problem.

If it's a desktop and you've checked the cable connections between monitor and video ports and made sure they're solidly seated, open the computer's case (a side probably comes off) then use it as you normally do with the computer case open. That makes sure there's plenty of air circulating to keep things from overheating.

If it does lose the video signal with the case open, it's probably the video card failing.
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:21 PM

the side of my desktop is open since you told me about that and that it could get clogged... just now felt the card and its not near warm as it was... I hope I can keep it going like this for a couple days (hoping it wont 'crap out') and then see what may be the reason.

will reply in a couple hours (I pray days though)
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:17 AM

[ISSUE FIXED] for the most part

I think this is solved only because I think I know what happened.... I messed around with my "EVGA Precision X" which is like a dashboard on how the video card works.. well I raised the FPS and that raised the tempature of the board I think and since I was playing the game that used heavy graphics, I think it overheated.. I have set it back to default settings and I havent crashed since

so thanks everyone for your help