Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:59 AM

Minecraft freezes entire computer on startup

Hey guys, got a pretty bad problem going on over here.

So I had to buy a new PC today (My **** of an ex stole my good one, :\) and got it pretty cheap.

Problem was, the specs are decent for the money I paid, except when it came to the GPU. GPU was pretty awful, sitting at 128MB of ram, so I threw in an old one I had from an older PC, yet every time I open Minecraft it completely freezes my system. I can move the mouse for 1-2 seconds before it locks up. Needs a hard boot after that point. But before putting in the new GPU, Minecraft ran fine. It also ran fine on it's original PC. I also swapped out for a more powerful PSU which was in the same computer as the GPU before hand. The PC the GPU and PSU were in, was a much more powerful machine than this one, so I don't believe it to be a PSU problem.

I've already given Java more ram, aswell as switch between 32-bit and 64-bit Java installations, and the only minor difference seems to be that when it locks up on the 64-bit version, little blues lines appear all over the screen and flicker constantly, the 32-bit version doesn't do this.

Note: This only appears to happen in Minecraft, any other game or application seems to be working fine such as Firefox, Doom(Skulltag), Skype, using Youtube (To check flash) and a few other little programs like speccy, AVG and Speedfan. Minecraft seems to be the only culprit. My guess it's a Java problem that I'm unaware of, or know how to fix.

Any help would be appreciated.

PSU = Power Supply Unit
GPU = Graphics Processing Unit

Specs:

PC Wizard 2012 Version 2.0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: User
User: User
Computer Name: EMACHINES
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7600
Report Date: Wednesday 29 February 2012 at 22:31

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : eMachines ET1352

> Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V

> Processor : AMD Athlon II X2 250 @ 3000MHz

> Physical Memory : 3072MBDDR3-SDRAM

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

> Hard Disk : Seagate ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device (750GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI DVD A DH16AASH

> Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL E197FP - 19 inches

> Network Card : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

> Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)

> DirectX : Version 11.00

> Windows Performance Index : 3.2 on 7.9

***** End of report *****

Note: I'm using the nVidia card, not the integrated chipset.

Thanks.

- Greg
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:31 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Are you using the latest 64bit Drivers? HERE
Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:29 PM

Yes, I am. I decided against using it because it was causing problems with all java related games, but if I can figure out WHY it having problems with Java, I may hook it back up.