Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:53 AM

Angry Windows 7 stuck in Startup Repair

Hi there, I own an HP Pavillion G60 and have a concerning problem on my hands.

My first day of college is today and my laptop (well out of warranty) won't start. It automatically goes to the Startup Repair screen every time instead of going to my desktop. It supposedly scans the computer for about 10 minutes, then without fail, tells me it cannot fix the mysterious problem. I've tried starting it in Safe Mode, this only takes me back to the Startup Repair. I've also tried doing the System Restore (restoring the hard drive to a recent, previous state), which does nothing. (To elaborate, I have tried 3 of the many different restore dates offered; it displays a window telling me that the restore is in process for about half an hour, then tells me the restoration was unsuccssessful. What gives? It seems like every repair option they give me is utterly useless.)

What's worse is that it did this less than a month ago. It finally took my uncle physically taking the hard drive out of my laptop, slaving it to his with a special type of cord, whereupon the antivirus program on his computer scanned mine, caught, and deleted the trojan causing it to automatically go to Startup Repair. It's been fine ever since.

But I don't have that luxury at the moment, as he lives in a different state. I have MalwareBytes and AVG antivirus protection- same as my uncle- and yet this has happened twice now. I don't go to shady sites, I don't download anythingthat isn't officially supported; heck, I was only on Youtube when this happened this morning! I would really, really like to avoid wiping the hard drive to fix this; there are several pictures of my friends and late grandfather on there I simply can't bear to lose. (Yes, yes, I know I need an external hard drive.) I also can't have a broken laptop; as I said, I just started college!

Please help!

Last edited by NightAtTheOpera; August 23rd, 2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:21 AM

Update: Not long after posting the above message, I selected another one of the offered restore dates (about 10 days ago) and told it to do its thing. Over an hour later, it did exactly the same as before; gives me an error message:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x8000ffff)"

This is becoming downright maddening.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD NightAtTheOpera? We cant offer any suggestions unless you have one that you can use.

The alternatives are to perform a restore to factory default and lose all your data or take it into a repair shop.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:30 PM

Oh gosh, if I do, I don't know where it is. This may be a silly question, but would it have come with the laptop when I bought it?
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
No. Hewlett Packard may have provided recovery disks to restore to factory default but they would not have included an installation DVD.

If you dont own a Windows 7 installation DVD or have access to one, we are unable to help you troubleshoot the problem NightAtTheOpera.