Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:52 PM

USB Ports (Flash/Mouse) and Sound Device Not Working

A week or two ago my laptop was working perfectly fine, but when I woke up the next morning and booted it up, I found a host of different errors.

First off the computer wouldn't boot at all (everytime I tried to push or hold the power button the power light would just rapidly flash), then after I finally got it to boot I found a bunch of internal errors.

My USB Ports are not reading anything I plug into them (Flash Drives, Mouse, Printer), and at the same time my sound device isn't working either. I tried to install the latest driver for my sound card but halfway through the installation it says 'Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again'.

Another thing is that everytime a system message/error shows up (such as when you end a process or try to delete a file that can't be deleted) my laptop makes a really loud, annoying beeping sound.

My PC is a Dell Inspiron 9200, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. My warranty is expired and if I call DELL, they have a 60$ service charge just to talk to them. I can't afford any repairs right now, so I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Try booting, after the 1st screen come up, start tapping the "F8" key, a menu should come up, select "Last Known Configuration", see if it boots. If that doesn's solve it then reboot again same F8, this time select "Safe Mode", it should boot up. Once the desktop is up (will look funny), double click on "My Computer" then right click on the "C" drive and go to "Properties", now to the "Tools" TAB, select error checking on the drive.

Reboot and it will check the drive for errors.

Neither works post back.
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Nope. Neither of those worked. I also tried doing a system restore, but that didn't work either.