Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Want to use a computer monitor to play xbox

Hey I am looking to buy this computer monitor
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX24...pr_product_top

I want to play my xbox 360 on it and I'm wondering how to hook it up and any other accessories i would have to buy in order to do that.

Thanks for any help in advance
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi,

You will need an Xbox 360 VGA AV cable. This will then have to be connected to the (blue) 15 pin D port on your monitor. If you have an Elite version, you could choose a HDMI cable instead.

To use the monitor with both your 360 and PC, depends whether or not your video card has both a VGA (blue)and DVI (white) connection. If it does, your 360 can connect to the VGA port and your monitor can connect to the DVI port. However, you may have to purchase a DVI - VGA adapter for the supplied monitor cable to connect to the DVI port.
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:18 AM

Hey I have a pro version but there is a thing on the back underneath the normal cord for HDMI so i think i could use an HDMI cable. I don't plan on connecting this to a PC either it is jsut for the xbox so all i need is power and the HDMI cable and the picture and sound will show up? (The monitor has speakers on it)
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi again,

Yep, all you need is the power and the HDMI cable. In fact, it's the same setup that I currently use. I did have it hooked up to an amplifier but that was annoying to others during late night/early morning gaming.

Text from Microsoft states that "HDMI Cable carries both video of up to 1080p resolution and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio over one cable...The console detects the display’s optimal resolution over the HDMI cable, and adjusts the resolution automatically."
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Hi, so I am currently using my xbox and computer on the same screen using an HDMI cable. It works great and all, but the speakers on my monitor are weak and id rather use my computer speakers. There is no sound out on the monitor, any ideas??
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hello s5892,

When my 360 was hooked up to my amplifier and using the HDMI cable, I used the following components to use a different audio source. I'm guessing the same situation would apply to use your PC sound card (instead of an amplifier). You will need;
  • Audio adapter cable, which can be found here if you don't already have one.
  • 3.5mm Jack to Phono cable. Depending on the distance from your audio source to the 360 audio connection you might either want a roll or the standard sized one.

Setup is quite straightforward. You plug the audio adaptor cable into the Audio Visual slot alongside where the HDMI cable is plugged in (this will fit as it is thinner than the usual AV connector). You then plug the colour coded jacks into the corresponding sockets and the single, or remaining jack (usually black) into the PC sound card.

However, I'm not 100% sure which jack on the PC's soundcard the remaining jack will plug into! I guess it all depends on the make of your sound card. It may be a case of trial and error but try the green socket first and then maybe the black.

If there is no sound from your PC's speakers after trying the different inputs (make sure your PC is powered up obviously) you can check your 360 settings. Press the Xbox guide button in the middle of your controller and navigate through the Settings tab > System Settings. On the right hand side it will state that your current setting is HDMI+A, if you have the audio adapter set up correctly.

I can't guarantee it will work as this is based on my 360 to amplifier setup. There was one tiny change as I had to get a 2x phono cable to connect the audio adapter to the phono sockets on my amp'. It might not even be possible to hook up your PC sound card to the 360...but it's worth a try if your sound quality is poor.

Last edited by dohray; December 4th, 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:20 AM

hey guys thanks i was looking for the same thing .