Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM

tired of scheduling

hi guys/gals
i have become tired of scheduling tasks on our office's 100 linux-computer network setup (RH-EL-4). i have to manually edit and add/remove tasks from crontab! can you guys help me with this? i have to add tasks to update software and manage patches and maintain which all computers have been updated!
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
If all of the machines use the same OS, and you need to apply the same settings to each machine, could you not create a bash script to automate the process?
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:53 AM

re: bash script

thanks for the quick response!
hmm. that can be done. i can create a script that will execute all the tasks.

1. but how do i update the scripts for different tasks?
2. how do i schedule the tasks automatically?
3. how can i be certain that the scripts executed properly (system may be down, other interruptions, etc.)

these questions are a real bother for me

hope you can help me with that.
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Hm, I do not know of an official way...however. You could set one machine up to be an nfs or sfs (secure version of nfs) server and have your script file on this machine. Set all the other machines up to be nfs clients, and mount that file onto a directory in each other machine. Then you could set them up to run this script say once a week? Maybe one every two weeks, etc. That way you would only need to edit the one file.

To be certain the scripts executed properly, you could include something within the script that will let the other machines send their status to the nfs/sfs server. Either sending a mail message or echoing their status into a file on the nfs server should work, and would not be hard to setup.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage
Hm, I do not know of an official way...however. You could set one machine up to be an nfs or sfs (secure version of nfs) server and have your script file on this machine. Set all the other machines up to be nfs clients, and mount that file onto a directory in each other machine. Then you could set them up to run this script say once a week? Maybe one every two weeks, etc. That way you would only need to edit the one file.

To be certain the scripts executed properly, you could include something within the script that will let the other machines send their status to the nfs/sfs server. Either sending a mail message or echoing their status into a file on the nfs server should work, and would not be hard to setup.
Whoa! wonderful idea! simply brilliant. so the script can take all the load off my back. just to be more specific, i can maintain some kind of a flag on the individual systems (or a counter) that will indicate the last patch that was successfully installed. that way, every system that runs a script updates from the last patch that was successfully installed on the system. great!
so in case a system misses a patch because it was down, it will catch it the next time. and i'll schedule it for every night - so that i can push patches in an urgency/more frequently

good good. i'll have to stagger some of the updates on the machines in time, so that the server doesn't get loaded all at once from 100 machines

and i'll build a log monitoring system on the server side that will monitor the logs every morning and flag out the computer which didn't take in the update.

great idea dude! thanks a zillion!