Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:51 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Wallpaper Problem?

I know this may seem trivial to some, but I needed to stop by since my tech friend is on vacation in Cancun with his significant other.

I found a really awsome picture I ran across on StumbleUpon. I'm trying to make it wallpaper for desktop. But when I right click to make the change from current wallpaper, it does not change. I always use the "centered" option.

And of course I'm on Vista OS.

Any ideas from the group? I also have issue with having to always change monitor resolution on boot-up, but I'll save that for another occasion.

Have a great day wherever you are.
Old September 9th, 2015, 11:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Save the picture say to your desktop.

Now navigate to C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper

This is where Windows stores the wallpaper. Now cut and past the wallpaper to there.

Not right click an empty spot on your desktop then to Personalize

Click the desktop Background link to display the desktop background dialog box

Hit the Browse button find the one you justed copied.
Old September 12th, 2015, 08:24 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thank you

Dear Murf,

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I thought you just right click on an image--no matter where it is and create a new desktop image. But my assumption was wrong as I led myself to the "dark side" of doing stuff I thought I knew.

Thank you for your instruction. I appreciate it. I will keep this tutorial stashed away for future reference.
Old September 12th, 2015, 04:13 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well you can right click and set as wallpaper, however, it does not save the image in the right location.

Also if you upgraded to Windows 7 Home Basic or Windows 7 Starter from a previous version of Windows, you can no longer right-click the desktop to change your desktop background and other appearance settings.