Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:52 PM

Problems running Flight Simulator 2002

I have suddenly developed major problems running Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002. The screen will only refresh when I click on it with the mouse, which of course makes it impossible to fly and totally destroys the pleasure of the game. This has only just started to happen, and I cannot think of any software or hardware changes I have made in the meantime which could have caused this. I may have installed Registry Mechanic at that point - I know I have only recently installed it, but cannot really see why it should cause this kind of problem.

My computer spec is as follows:

Intel 2 Quad 2.66GHz 2670 MHz 4 Core processor

NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT

My operating system is Vista.

I am using a Thrustmaster joystick.

I have only recently acquired the joystick, but the simulator was initially happy with this. None of the other specs have recently changed.

Does anyone have a clue what might be going wrong here?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUK1953 View Post
I may have installed Registry Mechanic at that point - I know I have only recently installed it, but cannot really see why it should cause this kind of problem.
Try uninstalling it and see if that is a fix.

Do you have a restore point from before this problem started happening, if so, try that.

Finally take your computer off line and try turning off all your security stuff, A/V spybot or anything else you may have, see if any of these are clogging up the works.

Restore them before you go back on line.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:51 PM

Hi Ned

Thanks.

I uninstalled Registry Mechanic and went back to a restore point just before Christmas, as I know I was fine with it on Christmas Day. I also ran a full checkdisk, which took all afternoon and came up with no issues.

When I load Flight Simulator I can see it is back to the options I had set previously rather than the changes I have made over the last few days, so I know I have definitely gone back to the earlier restore point.

But I still have the same problem - no screen refresh until I click somewhere on the screen with my mouse. It is impossible to take off properly, read the GPS, or do anything else one would normally do in a flight sim.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Is the driver for my GeForce corrupt perhaps? I am reluctant to try updating that in case the problem gets even worse and makes other games and programs stop working, but maybe I have no choice now but to try that?

Cheers

Graham
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Hi Graham.
ARE other games working OK at the moment?
That would make it unlikely (although not out of the question for a 2002 game) that it is a video driver issue.

Have you done a MSDirectX update recently?