Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:17 AM

Windows Vista is Malfunctioning, Long Term Problem--PLEASE Help

Windows Type: Windows Vista Home Basic

Computer: HP Pavilion dv9730nr (Entertainment PC)

Computer Knowledge: Limited, so please bear with me

Problem:

This actually started back in February a couple weeks after I bought this computer, but I haven't had time to deal with it until now. I may have been downloading the DivX program or a file for it ( I don't know if that had anything to do with the problem, but I'm just mentioning it in case it may have), but 30 minutes to an hour later, I got the following error:

1) A pop up box from Windows stating "Windows Explorer has stopped working - Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...(with a green status bar and Cancel option)". This box stays on the screen for approx. 3 seconds, and then..

2) Another pop up box stating "Windows Explorer is restarting..." (green bar and Cancel option).

3) Then Windows closes, and restarts within a second, and the cycle repeats again.

It kept doing this over and over, until I figured out I could close "explorer.exe" from the Task Manager, and just open things like Firefox and Microsoft Word as I needed them from the Task Manager. So that's what I did and have done ever since--whenever I turn on my computer for the past 5 months, I start by fighting the pop up boxes to close explorer.exe via and then open programs as I need them from the Task Manager .

However, I know this is not a solution, and I fear what is going on with my computer and whether I have created any long term damage. Steps I have taken include:

-Trying to go to a restore point before the problem (did NOT work)
-Searching for viruses (none)

So my questions are:

1) How do I fix this and have Windows function normally??

2) Someone suggested re-installing Vista on my computer, however I don't think my laptop came with a Vista disk, so how would I do that? Would I really have to purchase another copy of it?

Desperate for some clear advice, as I just bought this computer and feel terrible that I could have already ruined it--I need this for work. Thanks in advance.

-JFL
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Your laptop should have come with recovery disks or the ability to make them. Please consult your Help files or contact Hewlett Packard.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode (restart your computer and tap F8 continuously as it restarts)?
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Hi AnnMarie, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Your laptop should have come with recovery disks or the ability to make them. Please consult your Help files or contact Hewlett Packard.
No, I don't see any recovery disks and don't know how to make them. Will Hewlett-Packard charge me? I didn't buy any extra insurance or anything at the store, I just got the standard manufacturer's warranty and (I've been told) that that wouldn't help me with this problem...

Quote:
Are you able to boot into Safe Mode (restart your computer and tap F8 continuously as it restarts)?
Yes, I'm able to boot into Safe Mode. I think I was told to do that in someone's advice to search for viruses, or something, and I found none. Can booting in Safe Mode help me in another way?

Please let me know, any and all advice needed as I really hope to take care of this problem in the next couple of days while I have the time...
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
No, I don't see any recovery disks and don't know how to make them. Will Hewlett-Packard charge me? I didn't buy any extra insurance or anything at the store, I just got the standard manufacturer's warranty and (I've been told) that that wouldn't help me with this problem...
I'm sorry but I have no idea. I am sure they will tell you when you contact them though. Also read the documentation that came with your computer.

I can look at what is loading on your computer to see if I can spot a problem if you like. You obviously have access to another computer so if you want me to do this, download Deckard's System Scanner (dss.exe) from here and copy it to the Desktop of the affected computer.

When you have done this, boot into Safe Mode and make sure you are logged in with Admin privileges. Copy dss.exe is on your desktop and open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click on the Start button and type cmd.exe in the Start Search box. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Copy and paste the below string after the prompt>.

"%userprofile%\desktop\dss.exe" /config

When the DSS Configuration display opens click the "Check All" button. Then click the "Scan!" button to start the scan.

Once the scan has completed a textbox will appear - copy/paste those contents back here (main.txt). Also a the second text file, extra.txt, will show as minimized in your Task Bar. Maximize/Open this, and copy/paste those contents back here along with the main.txt please. (The logs can also be found in the C:\Deckard\System Scanner folder). You may find that the maximum characters allowed is exceeded when you post. If so, halve the logs and make several posts.

I have to log out now but I will check back later on.