Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old June 18th, 2020, 07:12 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Which Linux

I used Simply Mepis for quite some time, and really liked it. Except it seemed I needed a degree in Linux coding to install software. And I tried Ubuntu. Microsoft wanted me to upgrade Windows 7, so I'm thinking about upgrading it to Linux. I want the Windows like interface for the desktop, but really want something that you can install programs on easier.
Old June 18th, 2020, 07:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
linux mint and many others has a windows like interface. it has a start button, it has a file manager, it has a task bar and more. nothing hard about it. in addition, not sure what you mean by making it easier to install software when all you have to do is to go to the software manager, click on what you need and install. easier than windows because you do not get all the major software packages in one spot unless you use ninite. in some cases you may need to go to the website, download, then right click to iinstall. nothing hard about it, no need to do any coding. anyone with any common sense should be able to adapt with no problems. I would suggest running it from a live disk or usb drive first to make sure it is what you want.
Old June 18th, 2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
linux mint and many others has a windows like interface. it has a start button, it has a file manager, it has a task bar and more. nothing hard about it. in addition, not sure what you mean by making it easier to install software when all you have to do is to go to the software manager, click on what you need and install. easier than windows because you do not get all the major software packages in one spot unless you use ninite. in some cases you may need to go to the website, download, then right click to iinstall. nothing hard about it, no need to do any coding. anyone with any common sense should be able to adapt with no problems. I would suggest running it from a live disk or usb drive first to make sure it is what you want.
I sys op 10 Mint machines at my local community centre. They had badly corrupted Windows 7 on them so I installed Mint. The only problem I encountered was an older user wanted to know where the internet icon had gone. I simply renamed the Firefox icon INTERNET problem solved. I now have a robust system that defies the young "hackers" the opportunity to crash.
I am convinced that once used to it you will like.
Old June 19th, 2020, 02:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Most Linux OS have forums for their own Operating System, and if needed you'll find they're more than happy to help, if for no other reason than the fact you're not using Windows.
Old June 21st, 2020, 01:28 PM

Plenty enough Linux Talent here at CTH for me.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 08:48 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Use a live USB stick mate so no need to install. Try Ubuntu, or anything with KDE so you get to experience Gnome which is quite MacOS like, or KDE which is more like Windows.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishY View Post
U Try Ubuntu,
No, don't try Ubuntu. Right in the T&C it says all searches, including those of your own hard drive, go to the BBC and others. You really don't want an invasion of your privacy that includes all your search results including all your personal material effectively being public knowledge.
Old June 24th, 2020, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob View Post
No, don't try Ubuntu. Right in the T&C it says all searches, including those of your own hard drive, go to the BBC and others. You really don't want an invasion of your privacy that includes all your search results including all your personal material effectively being public knowledge.
I find this statement exceedingly dubious.
Old June 25th, 2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Tom.
If you are totally paranoid about releasing some very basic system info during the install process then this may be worth a look.: However I am not convinced that Ubuntu has continued the release of information for a number of years as claimed by TN.

Pop! Os by System 76 is a good alternative, I've heard.

"Pop!_OS does not collect or store any info from user installations. Minimal OS and hardware data is used—not stored—to provide updates and connectivity verification."

pop.system76.com
Old June 27th, 2020, 04:56 PM

Maybe Linux is spreading covid-19.
Old June 28th, 2020, 01:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
totally false. since you are so paranoid, you need to pack up all of your electronics and donate them to goodwill. that seems to be the only way you will be able to feel safe.
Old June 28th, 2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
Maybe Linux is spreading covid-19.
Just sprayed my motherboard with disinfectant, should fix the the spread and cure me at the same time.
Old June 29th, 2020, 05:51 PM

As long as you don't have a 5G network, cuz that's been spreading the virus too.
Old June 29th, 2020, 09:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
As long as you don't have a 5G network, cuz that's been spreading the virus too.
lets burn them all. seriously, I cannot believe some people actually believe that.
Old June 29th, 2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
lets burn them all. seriously, I cannot believe some people actually believe that.
A bit of mass hysteria is always good for damage to occur..