View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Why don't I just replace it with a new one?

#1) I paid $130.00 for this Track Ball.
{Which was a lot of money back then.}
I hate to say it, but this is just the cost of progress.

Until recently I had a whole store room full of old, but still perfectly good, CRT and 4:3 LCD monitors (including a gorgeous 17" Samsung Porsche Design monitor that cost me nearly $800 when new - a bargain at the time), CRT TVs, VCRs (including a Betamax VCR), CD players and drives, stereo receivers, bigger than I will EVER need hard drives that are too small, wired mice and keyboards, cell phones, wireless phones, laser printers, power supplies, thumb drives, digital and film cameras, notebooks, RAM, CPUs, graphics cards, motherboards, cases and more.

Clearly, all that stuff cost me many $thousands when new. I ended up taking it all to a local electronics recycling center where I got $80 - mostly for precious metals and bulk weight and an empty store room. The only thing that made me feel good about was I new the hazardous waste would be properly disposed of, instead of dumped in a landfill.

I surely sympathize with you but letting go of our favorite, but obsolete things is just a fact of life - and essential if we want to stay current, or in this case, safe and secure with a modern OS.