View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2021, 10:53 PM

People are insane.

Pandemic. Cooped up. Need something new.

Hear a famous song "Tennessee Whiskey" by Chris Stapleton. Intrigued by the lyric "You're as smooth as Tennessee Whiskey... You're as sweet as strawberry wine."

Been to Tennessee before, several times. Buy a bottle of its finest, Uncle Nearby 1856. $60+.

God awful. It was as smooth as sandpaper and not quite as tasty (though to be fair, if you add 12 oz of Coke you hardly notice how bad it tastes). Should have had a clue b/c I've never ever seen strawberry wine, and from the fact that there are only 7 verses -- 5 repeated choruses and 2 explaining how the man singing is a lonely lifeless drunk until meeting a particular other (I'm not clear if it is a girl or boy) that allows him to stop drinking.

So the song isn't praise for the whiskey, its a sarcastic condemnation, like the Shakespeare passage "Let's kill all the lawyers" was sarcastic response to a proposition for anarchy. Just have to pay close attention to detail and not let a soundbite be your basis for action.

Meanwhile, I'm sure that people by the millions are downing this swill like it was pop thinking and not vaxing, calling covid a hoax, and assuming Trump will be reinstated and paying him for the privilege of lying to their faces.

I hope we survive the lunatics.

Last edited by Total Noob; July 28th, 2021 at 10:55 PM.