View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_moma View Post
1) is this the right board to post this in?
2) Unix / Linux or what do you suggest?
3) Learn to run my own with a used server to start with or lease?
4) Cpanel wtih WHM or plesk?
5) Any thing else I missed?
Hiya da_moma,

1) It's probably best in Web Development & Graphic Design so I'll move it there after this post

2) CentOS, or Redhat are what I would recommend if (and only if) you are prepared to learn a lot about Linux. In my experience for web serving it is just an excellent platform. Windows Standard Server 2003 is supposed to be good and would probably involve less learning for you. I guess it depends on whether or not you want to devote time to learning (and having fun), or just getting the server up as quickly as possible so you can go back to developing whatever it is that will make you money.

3) Learning to run your own server is fun - it's also a steep learning curve if you haven't done it before. Personally, I like to learn how things work etc so I can fix things for myself. Leasing (which I think you might be confusing for "managed servers") is good but a lot more expensive. I really wouldn't advise buying your own server and then collocating it. I haven't yet found anywhere where this makes hosting cheaper. Sure you get to choose your own hardware and it may be better than what the hosting company use but that is the only advantage.

4) I don't use a control panel but the way I always read it was Plesk is more secure, but cPanel is the most easy to use of all control panels and has the most features.

5) Just a note on actually getting a server. Be VERY VERY careful what you buy. If you aren't doing huge numbers of hits/database queries you really do not need a server with all the bells and whistles. It is easy to fall into the trap of buying the best thinking it will make your website the fastest thing on the internet when in reality if it doesn't have much to do a lot a far slower server could do the same job. (in CPU and memory terms).

Whether you go "unmanaged" or "managed" is up to you but if you go "unmanaged" bear in mind that generally the only time the server companies techs will help you is if the server has a hardware fault, it won't boot at all, or they have a problem on their network. They won't as a rule help if you make a mistake on the software and the only solution they will offer you is to wipe the server and reinstall from the beginning.