View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2006, 12:47 AM

unable to activate firewall in xp with sp2 inst.

Hi I recently went on talk t broadband and bought a new computer which we use downstairs. My old pt, 4 2gh is up in the loft (still on dial up as I only got one splitter box) where I use it with video editing kit. I had not used it for 2 months and when I fired it up on 08. 08. 06 avast and win security told me I was out of date so I went on line with dial up. After this I noticed when starting a message about newdot new dll. My friend said this was a bad adware and so I managed to delete it. after that got message that firewall was off but even from control panel it is impossible to start it, get message cannot start associate service not running ICS, then mail scan mess. Not able to protect incoming mail error 10022. My friend said either install a new non win. Firewall or reinstall the whole op system and the many programmes, some of which I have lost discs, so not a route I want to take. As pc seems to be normal except firewall I could just keep off internet and use this one. I can post a hijack log (but not sure how to attach it ?)and could attach error log that shows lots of really technical probs. such as invalid argument, address incomplete, service hung, hanging bucket some repeated dozens of times! I thought learning French was difficult but learning to talk computer cryptic code is worse, if you can help please keep it simple, thanks. Solex