View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2020, 08:52 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Search

I have an external drive connected to my Windows 10 PC and I want to do a search for any files with specific characters in the name. Not search for contents in the files but search for file names.

This used to be so easy in older versions. I would do a Windows key F or S (I don't remember if it was S for search or F for find) and then enter either the exact name or part of the name with an asterisk as a wild character. There were filters that could be used such as size, date, etc. And for a 2 TB external drive, yes, sometimes it took awhile. But it did the job completely. (A little dog would wag its tail while searching.)

I'm trying to find the Windows 10 option to do this search. I can't get anything to work. It takes a split second to say "No items match your search" even though I did a test case and knew the file name was there. It's a 2 TB drive. No way it's searching that so quickly. As a test I did a search on a file I knew was there and it still came back with "No items".

Anyone have any ideas? I can't believe there's no such thing as a simple search in Windows 10.