View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM

May have your answer. Worth listening to anyway. -----
Was trying to install Lord of the Rings Online & got the same execution engine error. Like you, went nuts on the web and at Microsoft. Two things popped out. HP Image Zone could be a problem. Finally was able to get rid of it and replace it with HP Image Essentials. Corrected some problems, but still had execution engine problem with some programs.

Finally – the solution (for me). Microsoft .Net files were screwed up. Could not use Control Panel to get rid of them. Able to download Microsoft .Net V2.0 for install, but just did a repair.

Version 1.14 was a real problem to get rid of. Finally was able to rename Microsoft .Net v1.14 to a new name. When the software I was loading did not find the .Net v1.14 on my system, it automatically loaded a new Microsoft .Net v1.14 w/sp1 on my system and all my problems went away.

Believe you got good info from MS. However, If you delete v1.14 (which may be corrupt) and reboot, believe other windows files will rebuild and install another (corrupt) v1.14 file. Key seems to be finding a good .Net v1.14 file and installing it.

Not your final answer, but I hope I mentioned some essentials you need to know. Sys has several .Net files active at one time. When my new software went thru install for the .Net v1.14 I was shocked to see how many files were loaded/affected by the process (50/60).