View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Unhappy Task Manager/Task List

In Feb/2005 I acquired a (1999) used IBM365X Thinkpad with Win98SE. I cleaned up quite a lot of Internet temporary files/temp/.chk/.log files and unused programs from way back b4 I owned it. I am quite sure I did Ctrl+Alt+Del or ran msconfig and made a list of Startup/Processes items. I do have a list I believe was what I wrote down when I ran msconfig or CtrlAltDel...but now I'm not so sure bcuz it contains a lot of weird stuff. I do'nt use this laptop frequently (instead I normally use my WinXP pc). When I run Scandisk on the Thinkpad laptop it finds a lot of 'bad sectors' but it will complete the scan, but won't complete a "defrag" - goes to like 33% and stalls.
I have recently d/loaded ZoneAlarm/Spybot S&D/and AVG - but haven't installed them yet bcuz I would like to defrag first b4 installing them. (could I go ahead and install these b4 I try to defrag?)
Another problem is: when I try to get back into Task Manager/Task List by CtrlAltDel or Run msconfig, this task doesn't even show up on the Thinkpad.
What can I do? (a) go ahead and install ZA/AVG/SS&D first - then 'defrag'?
(b) how can I complete the 'defrag' and (c) how can I access Task Manager again? Thanks for any helpful solutions.