View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2004, 05:58 PM

GoofNut,

Well your problem looks to be a little different than mine. My problem ended up being an issue with the physical cable outside of my house. I called the cable company, and when he arrived he did a visual check of my setup. Everything inside was OK, so he went oustide and took a look at the cable. Looked like the gardener had unknowingly cut into the cable. This was causing the intermittent loss. He replaced the cable, re-ran it in a better manner, and then replaced the modem. Everything became nice and speedy!

As far as your issue, it sounds like it's isolated on the one machine. The first thing I would suggest doing is making sure that you've done a soft and a hard reset of your modem (since there has been a new device connected to it). I would also make sure that after that has been done that you do a release/renew on your XP box.

If this doesn't fix the issue, try another NIC. I know it may sound strange, but I've seen a lot of components go bad when a different problem rears its ugly head.

The other things you can try as far as troubleshooting are:

- Try a different network cable
- Try connecting your network cable into a different port on the router
- Try connecting the modem directly into the "bad" PC
- Connect your PC to one of the other connections that you know is working

Try this and see what happens. If you are still having problems, please reply back and we'll go with Plan G.

Good Luck!!