View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I hope they dont read this and realise they made a mistake and then correct it so it cant be done!!
Except it was not a mistake. Contrary to what some are saying and want you to believe, Microsoft allows the use of Local Accounts intentionally because they have no choice. Millions of Windows systems are used in installations and environments that don't have or don't allow Internet access. For example, "closed" networks used by the military, some corporations, hospital and even some retail POS (point of sale) systems.

Other examples would be where one computer is used by several users under the same username. In many cases, it just make no sense to tie a single email address to that installation of Windows.

So while MS would like every Windows 10 computer to be tied to a Microsoft account during log-in, they will still allow the use of a Local Account because they know millions of their customers use them.

Note too it is easier to by-pass using a MS account with W10 Pro, but not a lot. You have to click the "Offline Account" option which takes you to another screen where they try to encourage you use a MS account. But if you then click on the "Limited Experience" button, you can continue using a Local account.

So Microsoft's option labels are still pretty cryptic. W10 Home users can install with a Local Account if they disconnect their Ethernet cable (s) and choose "I don't have internet" during the wifi setup. On a laptop, they can choose Airplane mode.

I just don't connect via Ethernet and turn off wifi in my router.

There are certainly some significant advantages to using a Microsoft account. Syncing with other W10 computers, for example, is a big one - for some users. But frankly, I think it is a bit deceiving to suggest not using a MS account will give users a "Limited Experience". I for one, don't want my laptop to sync with my PC, and I don't want my PCs to sync with each other.

What is interesting is how Microsoft allows users to remove their Microsoft account. If you click the Learn More" button during installation, there is a section that says,
Quote:
If you’d prefer not to have a Microsoft account associated with your device, you can remove it. Finish going through Windows setup, then select the Start button and go to Settings > Accounts > Your info and select Sign in with a local account instead.
So again, they allow you to use a Local Account, but they want you to create a MS account first, then remove it.

This is just another example where Microsoft marketing weenies and ill-conceived executive decisions tarnish the hard work of the development teams.

I used to be one of a small handful of hardware techs in software development company, supporting over 400 programmers/developers. I have seen this picture before. Windows 10, IMO, is by far the best and most secure Windows to date. But I fully believe Windows 10 would be a much better OS still if the developers and programmers were given all the resources they needed and allowed to develop Windows on their terms, AND if the marketing weenies and execs kept their grubby little fingers out of the works.

And if that were the case, I fully believe consumers would be happier and that in turn, would mean more profits for MS in the long run. But marketing weenies and execs don't think strategically - they want it now. So they force big changes on us, then are surprised when we balk. But do they learn their lesson? Nope.

[rant off]