View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Welcome to CTH lilonepaula,

I agree with your husband that those are two of the top methods of getting infection on a system. The log shows a little know browser search bar that looks very suspect. I would like to check the files from that, and we will need to get more detail to look at as well here.

To keep them from interfering with the repairs, be sure to temporarily disable all antivirus/anti-spyware softwares while these steps are being completed. This can usually be done through right clicking the software's Taskbar icons, or accessing each software through Start - Programs.

Make sure you can View Hidden Files. Also uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"

Then right click My Computer, left click Explore, and navigate to the following hilighted folder:

C:\Program Files\Fast Browser Search

I would like you to zip a copy of that entire folder, so you can upload it for analysis. Either use a zipping software you have (such a winzip or winrar), or right click the folder, then select Send To -> Compressed (zipped) Folders, and a zipped copy of it will be created in the Program Files folder.

Then just go here, press new topic, fill in the needed details and just give a link to your post back here. Then press the browse button and then navigate to & select that new zipped folder copy on your computer.

You DO NOT need to be a member to upload, anybody can upload the files. You will not be able to see the file once uploaded.

----------------

Once you have done that Download RSIT (random's system information tool) from here to your desktop, then click on the RSIT.exe to start the scan.

If necessary allow it to locate or download a copy of HijackThis as needed.

Once the scan completes a textbox will open - copy/paste those contents here for review please. The log can also be found at C:\rsit\log.txt.

RSIT will also create a second log, info.txt, which will be minimized to your taskbar. Post that here as well please (it will also be stored at C:\rsit\info.txt).

You can break logs into parts and use separate posts here when replying and posting the log files, if needed.