View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2022, 12:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hello. I should probably fill you in on how things went.

I bought and was emailed the Product Key for Windows 10 Home from where Murf recommended without a problem. When I entered in the new Key a little window popped up saying I should Upgrade my Editon of Windows to add new features. I then clicked on "Start" to do that. After it did its thing and restarted Windows, a little message appeared on the lower right of the screen that said "Success!. This made me think everything just worked.

When I checked Settings>Update & Security>Activation it showed the below message...

"We can't activate Windows on this device because the product key was already used on another device. If you think it wasn't used on another device, select Troubleshoot below. Error code: 0xC004008"

Then I also noticed that on that same page it now says it's Windows 10 Pro now.

I tried the something with the "Troubleshooting" on that page and that didn't work.

Even though I could have swore that I had installed Windows 10 Home I wiped the Windows
10 partition then made sure to install the Home version from scratch. This produced the same results as above again.

Later I tried to start a chat session with Microsoft. The confirmation email they sent me was supposed to have a single use code but had other stuff and no code instead. I decided to give up on the chat for a while.

Just a few hours ago I looked at the Activation page for the first time in a number of days and was surprised so find that the Key is now accepted but it still says Pro.

When it wanted to Upgrade my Editon of Windows to add new features was it supposed to change it to Pro?

Should I reinstall it as Home again and try to make it take as Home?

Thanks