View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
I am able to get to a system recovery place with the repair mode, but it takes me to a place where I can choose from Administrator-guest-Tam as a user ID and then a password field. I am not a complicated person- and don't have passwords on the computer anyway- but tried all three with the one password it could have been and it says that my account is disabled.
If you have no password, did you try leaving the password field blank and hitting Enter? If not, this is Hewlett Packard's version of the Recovery Environment and you will have to refer to your documentation or contact them for further help. I always use the Vista DVD and have no experience with HP's cut down version.

Quote:
Wish we would have came up with that idea before.
I dont understand why you would say this. Firstly, we were able to work in Windows so there was no need to resort to the Recovery Environment. Secondly, we still havent established whether the problem is hardware related or software related and if the former, repairing your OS isnt going to be much help. I am leaning toward a hardware issue though.

Quote:
Is it fixable? do you have any idea how much? and what kind of info do you need to let me know if you think it is worth it? I just need an educated opinion. Please
Most problems can be fixed but as I said, I dont know whether your issue is hardware or software related and I have no idea what it might cost to fix. You have to remember that I have only seen the results of when you ran chkdsk and it's impossible to diagnose a problem from that meagre information. I am also sitting at a computer thousands of miles away. We dont even use the same currency as you and charges are very different here. Your best bet is to take it into a repair shop and ask for a quote before they do any work on it. I am sorry Tami, but that the best advice I can offer.